Does the UVB light have to be over the basking spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my four month old bearded dragon, Jervus, lives in a 4ft long, 2ft wide, and 2ft high tank. He has a Reptisun 10.0 t5 uvb mounted in the back, that covers 3/4 of the tank. Right now, his uvb is 13 inches away from the floor and the closest he can get (while on his decor) is 9 inches. He has a 150 watt basking bulb, and a climbing tower with a hanging rope hammock and built in stairs for him to climb to the top. This tower is 11 inches of the ground. His basking temp is 105 degrees. Because of lighting distances, the uvb is not over his basking spot. he only spends about 45 minutes a day basking. Should I get another reptisun 10.0 t5 bulb to cover his basking spot, or do you think it is fine. Thank you so much!

SPandS

Juvie Member
It really should just so he can get both heat and uvb at the same time but as long as he can get within the right distance from the uvb he will go to it when he needs it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree w/ Sand P but the distance should be 12-15 inches from the basking decor -- 9 inches for a T 5 is too close -- You need to raise the UVB -- if its 13 inches from the floor its too close w/ the basking decor under it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, it is the best overall scenario when you have the UVB source in & around the same
area of the basking spot. It helps to create heat & UVB in the same area so he can warm
up while getting some sunshine, too. Then it is important that there is an area of the tank
in which he can get away & out of the UVB if he would like to.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom