Basking Bulb Won't Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

resamille

Beardie name(s)
Lio, Micah (deceased)
I've had Micah for abooout 8 months now, and I've gone through probably just as many bulbs for his basking spot. I'd like to write it off as a bad brand except for the fact I've used at least 3 different brands so far. When I first set up his enclosure, before I even got Micah, I had a Zoo Med bulb last for about 3 days before it tapped out. Next bulb in that pack lasted maybe a month. After that I switched to some generic floodlights from Home Depot that were a brand I don't remember. I think those lasted the longest, but I still ended up going through a few of them, so still not great. My last one went out while I was visiting family and I had to do an emergency run. Got a pack of two comparable but different bulbs that also burnt out within a month. I took my fixture when I went to visit family, so that's the only thing I haven't accidentally experimented with to see if it's the problem. Different brands, different setups, different outlets. Still nothing long-lasting.

I have a Fluker's deep dome that's rated, as far as I know, for 150W bulbs, and anything I've put in there has only ranged from 90-120W. Is this probably a faulty fixture, or am I missing something with the setup here?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like a faulty dome--- please get another one and see what it does --- I was going to ask about the wattage but it looks like you got that covered

SPandS

Juvie Member
Another thing to consider, how often do you move the dome? Do you lift it or move it aside to get in and out of the tank?

resamille

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lio, Micah (deceased)
Thanks for the replies! Planning on grabbing another dome soon to try out. Then to wait a month to see how long it lasts lol

The dome hangs above the enclosure, so I don't think movement should be a problem. The only time I've moved it is to adjust the height when a new bulb is weaker/stronger than the last to keep his basking temps the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom