Substrate / Carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossinn

I like the look of a natural, loose substrate, but it seems most recommend (especially for juveniles) a carpet type substrate. Are there any carpets available to fit my 48" x 18"? I'd prefer to not combine multiple sheets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Carpet can be used but often not recommend as it can snag nails besides the unsanitary issues - what is often recommended is the textured NON adhesive shelf liner or the slated ceramic tile -- both are very easy to clean and less expensive as the sand mats reptile carpet and sand -- sand is terrible it harbors bacteria and they can eat it which then can cause impaction -- is often not advised -- you can get the shelf liner and slated tile from your local home improvement store -- if you have any more questions please ask -- I use slated ceramic tile in both of my tanks

Hossinn

Original Poster
How do you get the tile cut perfectly to fit the bottom of the enclosure? Does the home improvement center cut it for you?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Some will.some won't our home depot here would not- so my husband bought a tile cutter from harbor freight - the tank needs to be measured from inside the tank--- the tile needs to have some texture but not real coarse and not smooth so he does not slip- mine are also layed in the tank loose so they can be pulled for deep cleaning - no sealer no grout- I have put a thick blue shop paper towel from Walmart under the tile to catch and absorb the watery urate-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom