Light Fixture Replacing Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apolla

Hello!

This morning, to my absolute horror, one of Boga's light fixtures broke. And not just quit working, flames literally shot out of it.

No one was hurt and aside from the broken and burnt light fixture, nothing was damaged. Boga was curious but unharmed.

Did I miss something vital in my research? Are the light fixtures supposed to be replaced every so often? These are about 5 years old but in use for only 3. I figured I would replace them if they stopped working or were damaged, but I didn't expect one to catch fire without more warning!

I'm replacing all the fixtures just to be safe, I have a new one for the basking bulb already. I'm terrified to run her ceramic heat emitter tonight as it isn't new.

SPandS

Juvie Member
What type of light fixture was it and what bulb was in it? I had a dome fixture spark before when I didn't realize the copper wire became exposed. I'm thinking the heat from the bulb had made the cord start to break down and crack, since it was right where it connected to the dome.

Apolla

Original Poster
SandP":1ua9cnao said:
What type of light fixture was it and what bulb was in it? I had a dome fixture spark before when I didn't realize the copper wire became exposed. I'm thinking the heat from the bulb had made the cord start to break down and crack, since it was right where it connected to the dome.

I think it was "All Living Things"? It came in a starter set before I knew they weren't very useful. I'm going with Fluker's for the new ones.

The bulb was 150 watts, which it was rated for, and I only run 150w for a few months of the year. I usually use 100 or 75. I usually go with like ZooMed or ExoTerra for bulbs. I've never been able to get the right temps with non-reptile specific bulbs like flood lamps.

I did see a crack after the flames, but I'm not sure if that happened because of the fire or the fire just exposed that it had started inside the ceramic fixture. My mom's an ex-firefighter and I'll ask her to take a more in-depth look at it for her opinion.

How old was your fixture? What brand?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That was definitely an unexpected malfunction. Maybe a power surge or a faulty fixture. I would replace it with a fixture that is high quality and wattage rated well above the bulb you are using to help prevent a repeat.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Mine was a Flukers and at least several years old. It's been a few years so I'm not exactly sure when that one was bought. I ended up cutting that part of the cord off and rewired it to the dome and haven't had any other issues with it. But now that I'm thinking about it I'll have a look at all my domes just to make sure the cords are all in tact. I also have all of my lights plugged into a surge protector but if you didn't it's very possible it was a power surge.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Don't cheap out on lighting fixtures .

Cheap ==> poor quality , possibly not fit for purpose and even hazardous.

Exposed wires can result in you or any one who touches the fitting being electrocuted and shorts have resulted in house fires ( too bad if everyone is in bed and asleep )

My advise is ONLY buy
EXO TERRA
ZOO MED
ARCADIA REPTILE
or fittings tested by a licenced sparky.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Apolla":bw1kniit said:
SandP":bw1kniit said:

I think it was "All Living Things"? It came in a starter set before I knew they weren't very useful. I'm going with Fluker's for the new ones.

I wouldn't touch anything with All Living Things brand on them

The bulb was 150 watts, which it was rated for, and I only run 150w for a few months of the year. I usually use 100 or 75. I usually go with like ZooMed or ExoTerra for bulbs. I've never been able to get the right temps with non-reptile specific bulbs like flood lamps.

I did see a crack after the flames, but I'm not sure if that happened because of the fire or the fire just exposed that it had started inside the ceramic fixture. My mom's an ex-firefighter and I'll ask her to take a more in-depth look at it for her opinion.

How old was your fixture? What brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom