Can't get humidity right

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss12

So it's been about a week now that I've had my dragon. I set up the enclosure months before he arrived to make sure I had temps and humidity right, but I'm starting to have trouble again.
I live in the lower 3rd of Alabama. It's naturally very humid here. It is now tornado season and we have severe weather all week.
Usually, the tank sits at 45ish during the day, and climbs close to 50 at night. But this morning when I turned his lights on it was up to 60.
I have one of those Eva-Dry bead dehumidifiers in his enclosure and an electric dehumidifier that sits directly under it. I have a fan blowing directly into the enclosure vents.
I'm out of ideas for how to get the humidity down. We will be in tornado season until the end of spring, so I expect the natural humidity will continue to be difficult until early summer.
Anyway, if there are any keepers that also live in the southeast, I would love some tips on getting this humidity right.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as your humidity does not go above 70% you should be ok - I would not have blowing in the tank tho- you can try putting in some socks filled w/ rice to absorb the moisture --

ss12

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1af4yv4l said:
As long as your humidity does not go above 70% you should be ok - I would not have blowing in the tank tho- you can try putting in some socks filled w/ rice to absorb the moisture --

Thanks for your thoughts. I found advice elsewhere that increasing ventalation with a fan could help bring down humidity, but we live and learn. I'm happy to turn it off.
It's a relief to know that the humidity isn't damaging. I appreciate you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just keep an eye on it --- see if the rice filled socks work - and the dehumidifier should help as well - make sure your using a digital probe hygrometer as well take and place the probe on the back center wall of the tank -- if your using stick ons they arent really accurate --- they need to be calibrated every so often -- the probe should pick up the whole tank

ss12

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3goyc70d said:
Just keep an eye on it --- see if the rice filled socks work - and the dehumidifier should help as well - make sure your using a digital probe hygrometer as well take and place the probe on the back center wall of the tank -- if your using stick ons they arent really accurate --- they need to be calibrated every so often -- the probe should pick up the whole tank

Do you have an amazon link perhaps? I have two hygrometers. A stick-on on the hot side and a digital one on the cool side. The readings are usually similar.
I was having trouble finding ones with decent reviews.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure on hygrometers - take the probe one place it in the middle of the tank back center wall and see what reading your getting- get the reading first thing in the morning before lights on then see what it does during the day time-- it will go up at nite and should come down during the day -- optimal is 30-40% not below 20% and not above 70% --

SPandS

Juvie Member
Look up how to calibrate hygrometers. It's pretty simple and you only need a few things. You probably won't be able to adjust your hygrometers but you be able to tell how off they are if they are at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom