Solarmeter Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonic2020

I'm going to be purchasing a Solarmeter just a little unsure what model I should be getting either the 6.2R or the 6.5R. I understand the theory behind the measurements I just don't know what model would be more beneficial.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
IMO , your best bet is the UVB meter ( model 6.2 ). You will be able to assess DIRECTLY how the phosphors in the UV light source ( tube , compact ) are degrading with his meter.

The UVB flux measurements are direct and not based on a dodgey model like used in the UV- index meters .

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Most recommend the 6.5r.

It too will show you your bulb degrading over time, but it has the benefit of giving you the UVI level, which is what every lamp manufacturer and expert is recommending now. That way you can adjust your lamp distance/basking distance as the lamp starts to degrade.
Say you want your basking area to have a UVI of 4 so that's how you set up your lamp. Well in 5 months maybe it's only reading a 3.5 now. With the 6.5 you can just lower the lamp (or raise the basking site) until you achieve a 4 again. Of course you can only do this within reason, but it's still nice to have the option.
With the flux reading of the 6.2, you are not able to do that as different bulbs give different UVI levels at different Flux levels. This is partially why lamp manufactures give recommendations based on UVI level, not flux.

The 6.2 will also allow you to see your bulb degrading, but it will not give you the standard measurement that manufacturers are using now. Both will work, but IMO the 6.5r is more useful for hobbyists unless you have a specific reason for wanting UVflux reading. If you are into that kinda stuff, I'd recommend just buying both lol.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom