Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

reytamminen

what is the best lighting to use for a baby bearded dragon in a 40 gal tank? right now i have a Thrive 50w UVA and a Reptisun 10.0 UVB, and im looking to get an 80w PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor light. what are your recommendations?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get rid of the Thrive bulb if its a coil- the Reptisun 10.0 is that a coil too? the Power Sun is a good MVB-- not sure on the wattage tho - I am thinking your going to need to get a digital probe thermometer and take the temp - you want temps to be 105-110-

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 80w won't be powerful enough for a tank that size. I'd use at least the 100w. In my recent testing however, it seems that the output drops off quite a bit as it burns in. It can achieve basking temps at about 12'' above the basking area, but it doesn't put out a lot of UVB. I generally recommend using a T5 UVB tube in a fixture that has a reflector built into it for the best UVB. Then you can adjust the heat separately by changing the height or wattage of a halogen or incandescent bulb. If you do go with a PowerSun, I suggest getting the 100w and setting it at 10-12'' (check the surface temps to fine tune it) or going with the 160w and setting it higher at about 16-20''.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom