Additional UV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
lisbetha":22h9nouk said:
All I've ever seen wild here are rainbow skinks. We like to usher them outside when they squeeze under the door.

It's all about the birds here, and I do help out with bird rescue, just wish there was a tuatara rescue where I could handle those guys all day - they're sooo pretty. They look like painted fibreglass dinosaurs up close.

Little skinks are great pet exterminators, when the wild skinks come inside, they soon clear out the spiders and roaches, and the mice vacate the premises. You should be encouraging them to stay , all it takes is a little plastic lid with a some water in it and no one chasing them .

Rainbow skinks are everywhere in my garden , sleeper style raised beds , my sleeper style retaining wall, under my house ( I can walk around mostly w/out bumping my head there ) , and in my garage.
Got thriving colonies of these little charmers.
My handyman brought a delicate ( rainbow ) skink in when he was building the retaining wall , kept it as a pet for while
P9090615.jpg

she layed 4 eggs not long after this photo - tried to incubate / hatch them but they dried up .
scratchy-bluetongue-seen1.png

This is one of the geckos who lives inside, kept it as a pet for a while to observe it's behaviour til it excaped from it's tub and disappeared under the furniture, once it got onto the carpet it blended in camo wize by the time I got out a little round tub to put over it - it was gone
gecko-discovered-living-on-kitchen-benchtop-10jun2019.png

was a juvenile ( small enough to curl up my thumbnail ) doubled in size before it escaped , the adults are about 13cm TTL
P6160224.jpg

I had to order in 3mm size crickets & bluebum blowfly gents for them as at the time I had no silkworm eggs hatching.

We have a resident eastern bluetongue living in the gap between my 6m x 3m garden bed and the house ,and other living behind my garage ( in the wild patch that's never mowed ) , some marbled geckos living in my mature bluegum , and some frogs in the yard too ( they've been missed over the last 3 - 4 yrs ( next door had a cat that was killing everything in sight ( exterminated the frogs, decimated the skinks , and was regularly killing rosellas, doves, and finches :( …. mungrel cat ) , and we were in drought , now girl and her cat have moved out & the rains are back so the frogs have returned & my wild lizards are safe again ).

I do my best to keep my yard safe for them ( and to provide some habitat areas for them ), all the dead BSFL and crickets ( so long as they aren't rotten ) go outside to the wild scaley critters.

We also try to encourage native birds to visit too , setting up my 6m x 3m bed , my hockey stick shaped bed and my 6m x 1.5m bed to be full of native flowering herbs , perenials , and shrubs to encourage more birds , come back in a few years and my seeds will be a blaze of colour. << see my microfarm thread >>

lisbetha

Original Poster
Nice!
I think it's more the cat owners causing the damage. Noone seems to understand that cats are a pet you need to manage and take care of with the same level of responsibility as a dog.

We have one - born feral, trapped around 1year old and we managed to tame her down as SPCA would have culled her. Just someone's cat that had kittens that were abandoned to feed for themselves. She was not a good hunter - got by on mostly bugs, looking at her scat. Between her 1 month vet visit and her 2 month visit, she doubled in weight. Don't want to know how much she weighed when we first brought her home.

She is now entirely indoor and a but PTSD about being outside.

Ooh, and we brought home our little man today. 'Should' be male - we candled for early signs of hemipenes. He's settling into his temporary home while I finish up the proper cage.
110721-9306610790.jpg
110721-5031988998.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom