Lighting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppys

I know this has been asked before, but I see different answers. Can a bearded dragon get too much uvb? I have a reptisun t5 with 10.0 bulb. My mesh is the fine screen so after asking a few questions here I learned that no enough uvb will pass through the mesh so I open my screen and sit the light on top. Is this ok? I didn’t want to cut holes or replace the top, but if it needs to be done I will!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should be fine. They can get too much UVB exposure, but their instinct will be to move away from the high intensity when they can. That's why it's important to create a gradient. Usually an unobstructed T5 with a reflector should sit about 12-14'' above the main basking area for optimal exposure. Having areas that allow closer access is OK though, and you want areas further away and in the shade too. You can fine tune the distance (intensity) based on how your dragon reacts to it. Some like intense heat and UVB and will move closer. Some don't like it as much and will stay to the side more often.

Moved by moderator from Advanced Discussion to Enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom