Uvb bulb help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nberglund24

I ordered a T8 5.0 bulb not knowing that I needed a 10.0 I’m new to being a bearded dragon owner now can I still get use from the bulb? Or do I need to return it? Will it be good to use if I put the fixture in the enclosure?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With a T8, I would return it in exchange for a ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia Euro Range T8 bulb. Those have optimal output at around 6-8'' above the main basking area. The 5.0 wouldn't really be effective at a safe range so wouldn't be of use. If you move to a T5 then you can get increased effective output if needed. A T5 10.0 is best at around 12-14''. It comes down to the distance you need to cover between the bulb and basking zone.

Moved by moderator from Advanced Discussion to Enclosures.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Might be OK if the tank is small , you mount UNDER the tank lid ( no obstructions / shading effect ), you have a good T8 reflector hood or slip on T8 reflector and the distance from the basking spot to the tube can set up to give about the right level of UVA & UVB flux.

Tube --> basking spot distance for a 5% T8 in a reflector hood is about 7".

General guide I put together a while ago
How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png

Acadia's guide for bearded dragons.
arcadia-reptile-UVI-guidelines-for-pogona-vitticepts-2019-update.png

If you upgrade to a T5
tie-the-old-arcadia-guide-to-the-new-arcadia-guide.png

lisbetha

You really want 10% or higher... Honestly, as high as you can find. Make sure that you are replacing that bulb every 6 months. It may still turn on, but the UVs demenish with time. You'll notice the difference the first time you do a swap and your new bulb burns holes in you retinas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom