Dimming Thermostat for basking heat source and day/night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireballmox

Guys,
I’m looking for a Quality dimming thermostat to regulate and control the temperature coming from my basking heat source for the day time fluctuations. It’s not essential that it has a night setting and timer, but if it did as well that would be great. Cost isn’t as relevant as just it to be functioning well. Tired of sorting through junky ones.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There are several decent options available, depending on where you live. I've used a Herpstat 2 for years and it has worked well. There is a new generation out now that I haven't tested, but I think it mainly adds features like remote programming and monitoring abilities. I use one port set to dimming to control the basking light, and the second port set to pulse to control a heat projector to keep overnight heat up. The Herpstat 1 has a single port if you just want to control a basking light.

Fireballmox

Original Poster
Thanks a Ton Cooper Dragon!
I’ve ordered a herpstat 2,
Looks to be the best I’ve seen reviewed. Very much appreciate that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did you get the new wifi enabled version? If so, please let me know what you think of it. I've had the older one for 5 years now and it has served me well. Having a gui to adjust settings from sounds like a convenient upgrade rather than having to cycle through all settings on the device to make changes.

dave93245

Hello I saw that you wanted info on the herpstat 2 spyderweb version. As it turns out I just got one a couple of weeks ago and I love it. The web app allows you to remotely monitor Temps or humidity as well as setup. The setup is a little faster using the web app rather than manually adjusting and you can tweak it remotely. Overall I would say it is a winner and not much of a price differance.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thats good to know. Thanks for the feedback on it. Do you use the ramping feature? Do you notice any sudden on/off glitching during ramping? I found that if I had that set longer than 15 min the light would flicker sometimes. Maybe that was an issue addressed with newer firmware.

dave93245

I do simulate sun rise and sunset and it does occasionally flicker a bit. I don't think much changed other than adding the web connection. They host your device on their website for free so far, when you are home you connect direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom