heating a 4x2x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

natnat

I'm having trouble getting my basking spot in my 4x2x2 hot enough. I'm currently using a 100w bulb in a dome sitting on top of the cage and it's only getting the basking spot up to 85F. Would it be better to get another dome and try two 75W lights or go for a 150W light in one dome? I don't really want to put the basking light in the tank since I worry about the beardie touching the dome. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Go to a 150 watt - I am using a 150 watt now -- if that doesnt do it you may haft to add a smaller dome next to it w/ like a 50 or 75 watt --- just make sure you have a digital probe thermometer and or a infrared heat gun -- I use both -- my bulb is also sitting on the top of the screen as well -- w/a piece of decor that offers a heat gradient
Karrie

natnat

Original Poster
Thanks, any idea if they make dimmable 150 watt bulbs? I haven't really seen any. The temps in my house vary quite a lot so ideally I'd like to have it on a dimmer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure --- someone to answer that question would be CooperDragon -
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can usually get my GE 80W PAR38 halogen flood lights up to temp at that distance, but it really varies quite a bit between enclosures. I'd give one a try and see how it goes. They handle dimming pretty well. Some of the reptile specific 150w bulbs I've tried will dim, but they may a high pitched humming sound which gets annoying. If you need even more power, you could look into photography specific halogens. They are very bright and produce lots of heat. I've had decent success dimming them. They may be a bit too much for inside an enclosure though. I've used them only for free roam basking spots.

This is the GE one I have in my enclosure https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V92RIG/

And a photography specific bulb I've tested
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030AYKGC/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom