Newbie stressing over heata

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazetheDragon

I just got my baby BD yesterday. I have the Thrive front door 40g tank. I bought the kit and replaced the coil UVB bulb with a 50W Halogen. I am also using the 100w basking bulb. Both bulbs are housed in 8.5 domes on the hot side. The 100w directly over his mountain and the 50w off center from it. I bought a black light fixture from walmart and replaced the tube with a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10 and mounted it inside the tank with 3M command velcro strips. I bought 2 Acurite thermometers mounted on each side and a hygrometer in the middle. My cool side stays around 75-80 but I cannot get the hot side thermometer over 90. Should it read the recommended 100+ or is that air temp. He sits atop the mountain all day and Im wondering if cause his basking apot isnt hot enough.
110211-7150757331.jpg
110211-5403624326.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello well your getting there -- the basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - they need to be 105-110 for a baby--- your UVB needs a reflector - the reflector will project the UVB rays downwards toward him for best effects -- and I would get it off the back wall and place directly above the basking decor --- what is the bulb is it a T 5 or a T 8 thats going to help w/ the distance requirement --- the two bulbs require different distances --
Karrie

BlazetheDragon

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,
I will grab a probe thermometer to check his basking site. It may be the right temp but the wall thermometer doesn't read it. The UVB is a T8 bulb. I wasnt sure how to mount it to the screen. I dont think 3M would be reliable and know I cannot place it on the outside.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here are some ways to hang 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers -- and these work really good I use these in my tanks they are like a Velcro strap cut in strips and wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
Get the fixture situated in the tank then get a piece of basking decor directly underneath approx 6-8 inches
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom