Another newbie with questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericab10

Good grief, this is so overwhelming! We got our beardie from PetsMart (which I'm now seeing is a scary thing in and of itself) 5 days ago. They weren't sure of this age - "between 3-5 months" :roll:

We bought this kit: https://www.petsmart.com/featured-brands/thrive/thrive-front-double-door-opening-terrarium-desert-essentials-kit---40-gallon-54712.html?cgid=5000640

After scouring this site for days learning, we've replaced the UVB coil bulb with the Reptisun 10.0 T5 and it's housed in this: https://petsuppliesplus.com/shopping/Zoo-Med-Reptisun-T5-HO-Hood/5217. We just installed that last night so he only had it for about 2 hours before lights out and now about 3 hours this morning. He's currently hiding in his little cave out of the "sun." I'm wondering if the T5 is too powerful or it's just coincidence that he's handing out under there for the first time? I'm not 100% sure how to arrange the basking lamp and the UVB since the enclosure is only 18" tall. Right now the UVB is on top of the screen because I was worried his basking spot was too high in the enclosure and he would be too close to the T5 bulb (the highest point of his basking spot is 9" from the top). We bought some chicken wire to potentially use in place of the metal screen that came with the kit to let some more heat in - his current basking temp is only 95 degrees with a 150W bulb.

Next question..food! He's only eating about 10-15 small crickets a day and a few bites of salad (collard greens and watercress). He has been shedding a little bit and I know that can effect their appetite but he should be eating way more than that, correct? He's pooped every day and it looks normal.

Sorry for the novel length post - I just want to be sure we're properly taking care of this little guy! He's so precious!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so thats one of the better "kits" that I have seen ---- the UVB depends on the screen as to where it needs to be placed --- is the screen a fine mesh screen like a screen door or is it a wide hole type? If its a wide hole type it can stay on top w/ your basking decor piece directly under it 8-10 inches -- if the screen is a fine mesh it needs to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly under it -- and no the T 5 is not too strong for him that would be if you have it placed too close to his basking decor --- the hiding is not normal but you do need to get a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps --- place the probe on the basking decor where he would sit to bask leave for 10 minutes or so the temp needs to be 105-110--- he should be basking and active --- the not eating a lot is normal --- they go thru relocation stress -- so if he stops eating all together thats not good - he should be eating a little -- your basking temps and UVB are the two most important things in the tank - they control the behavior and over all health of the dragon - here are some things if you need them to hang the UVB in the tank - 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line --- potted plant wire hangers -- and this is what I use this stuff works really good its like a Velcro strap that you need to cut in strips https://www.showmecables.com/panduit-ttr-20r0-bulk-hook-and-loop-fastening-cable-tie-20-foot-roll-x-3-4-inch-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouDimL2b7AIVyEXVCh2Kbg_vEAYYCSABEgImZ_D_BwE
I can help w/ more insects / worms as well -- here is a website for nutrition please ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
You will need a glass bowl or ceramic bowl to keep the insects / worms in something like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Please get your UVB situated and the basking temps in order and let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings --- it may take a week or two but he will adjust and w/ the proper lighting and temps he should do well --- please ask if you have any more questions --
Karrie

ericab10

Original Poster
Thanks so much, Karrie!
I have a digital thermometer placed in there right now right next to his basking spot (should've mentioned that I didn't use the gauge that came with the kit). I can go grab a probe thought. The top is technically a mesh screen but it's pretty thick metal rather than that thin, traditional screen. I attached a pic so you can see the lid - there is about a 2 inch plastic border around it that I can't set the basking light on. We're about to replace that right now with just chicken wire so we can use the entire length and width of the top and get more heat in there. So if I have the basking lamp all the way to the left corner, do I mount the UVB directly under that?? It seems that the heat from the basking lamp would be blocked by it or possibly melt part of the hood? I've never felt less knowledgeable about anything in my life lol

110149-7416399214.jpg
110149-7238034205.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you can definitely leave the UVB on top just have the decor 8-10 inches under it--- I am almost thinking it could even be 12 inches directly under it--- that's pretty wise-- if you can have the basking and UVB together on one side that's usually the optimal
Karrie

ericab10

Original Poster
Thank you so much Karrie! Got it all set up and it's considerably brighter in there. I'll check the temp in just a bit. I feel so bad for him - he's got lots of stress marks :( I just ordered the worms from phoenix worms. Hopefully he likes those because I am already over these nasty crickets!!

Your help is much appreciated!

ericab10

Original Poster
Karrie - I cannot thank you enough! It's only been up for 10 minutes and he's up there basking with his mouth open and the stress marks are nearly gone.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so glad hes adjusting well --- you can get insects and worms from here I recommend dubia roaches this place is fast and good I have not had a problem w/ them
www.reptilianarts.com good silk worms great staple feeder if you order smalls make sure you get food for them if you order 50 or more they do not come w food and you will need to clean the containers out every day - they also have dubia roaches if you order a lot of them you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food it last a long time and carrots for hydration dont feed the dragon carrots tho too much Vit A-- also you can get some small super worms -- feed 1-3 on his salads and use the BSFL your getting as salad toppers --- feed as many as you want - they make a good compliment to the roaches
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom