Adopted a new beardie today, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

john9721

Hello everyone! I unexpectedly adopted a 2-3 year old female beardie today from a good friend who couldn't keep her anymore. I have a couple quick questions about lighting. The basking spot is roughly 6-7" from the bulb, which sits on the screen top. The bulb that the previous owner is using is a 100 watt Thrive brand basking bulb. Using a laser thermometer, which I believe is accurate, it shows that the temperature directly under the bulb on the basking surface is as high as 120 degrees, which I know is too hot. However, like I said I'm not sure how accurate this thermometer is. I'm wondering, in other peoples experiences, what wattage should I look at? I did swap out for a 50 watt basking bulb for tonight, but I'm sure that's not enough. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder. Also, the light fixture is a dual, and also houses a 10.0 UVB bulb. I know that most likely isn't ideal, correct?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Correct improper UVB --- please get a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - the tank is 18" high correct? The basking decor piece should be lowered w/ a temp of 120 -- the 50 watt is not going to be enough -- you want temps 95-110-- NO hotter --- I would get a digital probe thermometer to get the temp - I dont know what kind of material the basking piece is but sometimes the IR gun is off because of that -- like hammocks they do not give proper temps --- get a probe and test between the two of them and go from there --- its good to offer a gradient heat for them to pick a spot they want to bask at -- Pet Smart has great decor pieces for that -- your basking bulb is fine as long as its a bright white bulb --- but the UVB coil please get what I recommended above ASAP--
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As mentioned, I would look into getting a 24'' T5 UVB fixture and bulb (Arcadia 12%, Reptisun 10.0) and set that about 12'' above the main basking area.

For heat, my guess is that you're pretty close with a surface reading of 120. I would first try raising the basking light a little bit if you can. Using adjustable lamp stands is helpful if the bulb is overhead and not fixed to the enclosure. If the bulb is fixed, you could try a dimmer (but you don't want it to dim too much - still need bright visible light). If that doesn't work, try dropping down to maybe an 80w or a 65w halogen from the hardware store and see how that goes. Getting the temps correct can require a bit of trial and error at first, but once you find a bulb that works with your enclosure, it doesn't take much further fussing with and you can just buy a bunch of the same bulb. It's good to have spares on hand since they tend to fail instantly and without warning.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Congratulations I am sure you will have a great time & give her a terrific home!
A 40 gallon tank is a good sized tank so if you get a digital probe or temp gun, that will be much
more accurate than a stick on type of thermometer.
If you have pictures, that is always helpful so we can help with lighting placement.

Tracie

I just became a new beardie mom also. I received him yesterday and he is almost 5 months. I have been planning and building and buying for the last 4 months and now that he is here I feel as tho I’ve done everything wrong! I had a 72x24x25 wooden enclosure built and have dedicated my whole sunroom to this beautiful guy. I’m able to regulate temps and humidity pretty well in this room.. rundown on set up… I have a 48” Reptisun T5HO 10.0 tube UVB sitting in the middle of my enclosure on a metal lath grill .. it’s not mesh at all … it’s a large holed grill… I have 4 basking bulbs on one end overlapping the uvb..it’s taking those bulbs in order to reach my temps. I’m using landscaping stones an bricks (which I have thoroughly sterilized) for his basking surface… and they are built up to around 11-12 inches from uvb and heat… I put a regular fluorescent shop light at the top of enclosure on the inside (48”) … my cool side is around 82-85 F and my hat side is 95-100 F… my basking surface is getting up to round 102-105 F. I also have a vent low on cool side and a vent high in hot side and 3 toward the top on the back (I cut out approximately 4x4” squares and covered in the same grill as my top). I’m in Louisiana so I deal with high humidity… so I bought a dehumidifier for this room and it’s keeping my enclosure between 28-30 on hot side and 35-40 on cool side. The entire room is staying around 40%. There is a rundown of his enclosure. Questions: as I said he arrived yesterday and he had a long trip from LA, California to central Louisiana… he showed no obvious signs of stress and does not mind being held at all…but I have tried to interact in short intervals but I am staying quite a bit just in the room. I’ve offered water from a dropper but he looks at me like what are you doing!! I offered him salad today but to no avail.. I’ve bought the same thing and same schedule that the breeder told me… I have not offered the live bugs ( roaches, superworms and BFSL) yet since he would not touch his salad. He is really staying on the cool side mostly ( went from hot to cool side on his own this morning) and he appears to be bright eyed and alert… now my question: does the temps seem ok? When should I worry if he doesn’t eat or drink? How much should I hold him right now? Why is he not basking on the stones? When and what should I worry about??? Because right now I am worried about everything!!! Last night the enclosure temps got down to 72F at the lowest and humidity got up to about 44%… I got up every 2hours to check on him. Did I let him get too cool???? I think that is all for now… I’m getting so many conflicting answers! I just got bombarded with negativity on a FB group because I said I was using stones and they had gotten up to around 105F yesterday.. I’ve read that stones, ricks were better for basking as they absorb the heat better than the hammocks… although he does have one on the cool side. Please please someone advise me!!
I’m enclosing a pic if his ..Charlie’s… enclosure

thanks in advance

Attachments

• BFBDFCD7-378A-4845-8403-15D72AC2E14D.jpeg
    BFBDFCD7-378A-4845-8403-15D72AC2E14D.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 85
  • AFAF9F32-C931-42B3-B349-86BB48BD5076.jpeg
    AFAF9F32-C931-42B3-B349-86BB48BD5076.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom