200 watt bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since i'm a little sick today i asked my mom to get Sandstorm a light bulb and she got a few new ones. She got a 200 watt bulb, a 8 watt heat mat, a 75 watt red bulb, and a 75 watt daylight bulb. I was a bit annoyed when she did this because of course i take Sandstorm's health very seriously, and she knows that we usually get uvb and a basking bulb because she always comes with me to the store, and i'm not sure if the 200 watt bulb is safe but he isn't acting weird or anything and it wasn't all that hot when i put my hand under it. (I understand she is trying to help but i always worry about Sandstorm so it's a little stressful sometimes) I didn't use the red bulb because i know it's disturbing to their eyes. (I don't know what to do about the heating mat because he didn't really need it and i didn't really ask for one but i guess he could still use it in his cave.) Is the 200 watt bulb too hot?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the 200w bulb a plain halogen? I've used some that strong before, but they have to be mounted pretty far away (25+ inches in the case of the one I was using). It all comes down to surface temperature with the basking lights. If you're reading the surface temperature below the bulb with an IR temp gun or a digital thermometer's probe, and it's reading in the 100-110 range, then it's OK. Need to adjust the wattage and/or distance according to what the surface temp readings say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom