Substrates & Changing It Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! First post here. I just got a juvenile beardie a couple days ago! The last time I had beardies was at my dads place, but he moved and wanted to have them so I knew some stuff before I started But it has been about three years so I wanted to refresh myself with as much knowledge as I could physically stomach and refresh my mind. Anyway , She looks great, her temps are okay I believe (Daytime basking area is about 95-100, nighttime it’s 78-79/80, cool side has been 75-80) she ate about 13 crickets today and she doesn’t show any signs of her licking any substrate and she has her head up while eating. I’m trying to push more greens and I’ve heard small pieces of apple will help entice them. I made sure she has been staying hydrated, and her humidity is good. I’ve been kinda a spaz trying to make sure everything is perfect. Her vet appointment is next Friday for initial check up & fecal test. (Since New Years is Saturday they’re closed. So we have to wait a week..) So, here’s the thing. We put down a sand mat, a thin layer of repti sand, and a thin layer of mulch. I’ve been so upset because I want to get it out ASAP. I’m aiming to give her a bath in a day or so to let her acclimate more. We are putting ceramic tile in and using a safe grout & seal with Zero VOC’s and no odor or toxic fumes when hot. We are planning while I get her in the bath and stuff, my husband will have the tile already grouted and applied to the wood and put in the tank and get the temperatures regulated. we are also waiting until we get the infrared thermometer in the mail next week so we can make sure we’re not having it too hot, if so, we will remove the heat pad from the bottom. My husband thinks she’ll be OK and if we need he said maybe the heat hand warmers would be okay to place on the tile ?? (only when we have the temp gun of course to make sure of no belly burn)but I’m just very anxious and worrying myself sick about the transition and I want to make sure it is as smooth as it possibly can be. Should I remove the sand substrate and mulch and put paper towels in before I work on the tiles?? I just don’t want to mess with her Surroundings a whole bunch. Also, should I wait another day or so for a bath? She isn’t Visibly dirty but I’m thinking it could definitely help for her to poop and aid in some extra hydration. I haven’t seen any poop yet but I think she has “movers stress” I just don’t want to overwhelm her. I’ve edited and added things to this post at least 3 times already. I’m trying to chill out and enjoy watching her but I’m just super nervous and there’s not room for errors. As I wrote this I sounded like I didn’t know what I’m talking about but we all make mistakes. And plus I’m a huge hypochondriac and stress myself out super easy.

mpickering15

Original Poster
There is a photo of Arachna basking. I’m not sure if this will work I’m not too sure how to upload an image xD
full

mpickering15

Original Poster
And not to mention, husband and I are at home all week because we have COVID-19. So we are able to keep a close eye on our baby and don’t have to go to work.

mpickering15

Original Poster
We have tried feeding her this morning. We were unsuccessful in the 15 minute period. I’m bawling. I don’t know what to do I’m really wanting her to just eat. Should I go ahead and Just get the substrate b.s out and use paper towels??? Could this be why she isn’t eating??? She jus ate a lot yesterday and doesn’t look like she’s showing any signs of being dehydrated. Advice on everything if someone can. please

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would recommend not using any grout in the tank --- I have mine layed in there loosely so it can get pulled for deep cleaning- I use a thick blue shop paper towel underneath to catch the watery urate- I would get the loose substrate out now and use paper towels for now- bathing can stress them out you can hydrate her by dropping water on her nose misting her in the tank --- please go over the UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ? Where in the tank is it? Basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- IR guns are good but not for hammocks if that is her basking spot- you need the probe thermometer -- she needs time to acclimate to her tank and surroundings so her eating will be off- but she does need to be eating something -- the basking temps and the UVB are the two most important thing in that tank --
Karrie

mpickering15

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jwb4pnq said:
I would recommend not using any grout in the tank --- I have mine layed in there loosely so it can get pulled for deep cleaning- I use a thick blue shop paper towel underneath to catch the watery urate- I would get the loose substrate out now and use paper towels for now- bathing can stress them out you can hydrate her by dropping water on her nose misting her in the tank --- please go over the UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ? Where in the tank is it? Basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- IR guns are good but not for hammocks if that is her basking spot- you need the probe thermometer -- she needs time to acclimate to her tank and surroundings so her eating will be off- but she does need to be eating something -- the basking temps and the UVB are the two most important thing in that tank --
Karrie
So for the tiles, what would you recommend ? We got ceramic tiles we planned to break and grout so I’m not really sure where to go from there. I can take a photo of the UVB light. I’m gonna have to go to the pet store to look for a Probe thermometer. The UVB she has is Reptisun 10.0 compact UVB fluorescent bulb. Also, the thermometer that is in her basking area on the left is our probe thermometer

mpickering15

Original Poster
KarrieRee":14bq2dzj said:
Karrie
full
There is another thermometer for her basking area on the top. The light on the right is the UVB

mpickering15

Original Poster
KarrieRee said:
I would recommend not using any grout in the tank --- I have mine layed in there loosely so it can get pulled for deep cleaning- I use a thick blue shop paper towel underneath to catch the watery urate- I would get the loose substrate out now and use paper towels for now- bathing can stress them out you can hydrate her by dropping water on her nose misting her in the tank --- please go over the UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ? Where in the tank is it? Basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- IR guns are good but not for hammocks if that is her basking spot- you need the probe thermometer -- she needs time to acclimate to her tank and surroundings so her eating will be off- but she does need to be eating something -- the basking temps and the UVB are the two most

I am going to change her substrate soon. I’m just very nervous of overstimulation because I attempted to feed her and she wasn’t having it. Any recommendations on getting the substrate out easily? Since I have the sand mat I’m thinking I can just roll it up and take it out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would pull it or roll it and just use paper towels for now - I have a slated ceramic tile from Home Depot - it has texture but is not a coarse or smooth either here is a pic of it
97951-666388767.jpg
the UVB please replace ASAP- coils are terrible and can and will cause all kinds of health issues - recommended is a long tube fixture 24" fixture w/a reflector like a Zoo Med for a 40+ gallon tank and a Reptisun or Arcadia bulb 10.0 T 5 or the 12% bulb -- both are really good bulbs - they have options for placement depending on the screen on your tank -
Karrie

mpickering15

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3t10fvjq said:
I would pull it or roll it and just use paper towels for now - I have a slated ceramic tile from Home Depot - it has texture but is not a coarse or smooth either here is a pic of it
97951-666388767.jpg
the UVB please replace ASAP- coils are terrible and can and will cause all kinds of health issues - recommended is a long tube fixture 24" fixture w/a reflector like a Zoo Med for a 40+ gallon tank and a Reptisun or Arcadia bulb 10.0 T 5 or the 12% bulb -- both are really good bulbs - they have options for placement depending on the screen on your tank -
Karrie
Thank you. So I’m going to get the long tube light and do you recommend a ceramic heat bulb Instead of the basking spot lamp ? The basking area is at 99.7 right now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is good to have the CHE as a added measure - those are only used to keep tanks warm at nite if the tank is falling below 65 -- no higher than 75 at nite - its too warm - dragons like cool and dark to sleep - you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- that is a MUST - IR guns are good as well but sometimes the certain materials of the basking decor will throw the IR gun off so its safer to have digital probe -- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank --- your baby needs temps right now 105-110 --
Karrie

mpickering15

Original Poster
KarrieRee":65bfmohb said:
It is good to have the CHE as a added measure - those are only used to keep tanks warm at nite if the tank is falling below 65 -- no higher than 75 at nite - its too warm - dragons like cool and dark to sleep - you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- that is a MUST - IR guns are good as well but sometimes the certain materials of the basking decor will throw the IR gun off so its safer to have digital probe -- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank --- your baby needs temps right now 105-110 --
Karrie
Thank you so much for all your help. Also, we got our granite from Home Depot as well. I’m Getting some help from a family member to get the proper supplies for me dropped off at the door so I have them ASAP today. So I will have the long bar light, and the 150w basking light. Do you suggest I take off the heat pad under the tank since I’ll be using paper towel substrate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes dragons heat from their backs not stomachs- please tell me what UVB fixture you got- brand and bulb - T 8 or a T 5? Placement and distance is crucial
Karrie

mpickering15

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3km13pt1 said:
Yes dragons heat from their backs not stomachs- please tell me what UVB fixture you got- brand and bulb - T 8 or a T 5? Placement and distance is crucial
Karrie
ZooMed T5 bulb and we got the terrarium hood For the bulb. The basking light brand is Exo terra 150W intense basking spot bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get temps- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom