Bioactive substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
I'm switching my bearded dragon to a bioactive enclosure as soon as I can. I just need some guidance as to where to start and what to get. I'm on a pretty tight budget for it because this isn't exactly a NECESSITY, but I want something that can start off pretty well for him with not too many ingredients.

For example, if I were to get topsoil, play sand, and maybe excavator clay, would that be enough ingredients? I've seen people mixing lots and lots of ingredients but I'm not aware if there's perhaps some sort of "minimum?"

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would check out some youtube videos on the subject. It's nice because a lot of them have update videos too, so you can see what worked for them, and what didn't.

-Brandon

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After researching a ton I decided to go with 50/25/25 of top soil, play sand, and excavator clay. Would I need some sort of drainage system/layer? I've seen some people include this while many haven't.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Just poking my nose in... have you checked out the BioDude's videos on setting up a bioactive beardie enclosure? He's got two videos on YouTube. One about setting up, one about two years in. Definitely worth viewing.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I've watched lots of videos including that whole series made by BioDude. I was trying to go for something DIY but the more I look into it the more I think the bio dude's Terra Sahara might just be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom