Need advice on my lighting (new beardie owner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittanyh

I have a baby beardie that is about 6 1/2 inches long. He is currently in a 20 gallon tank (will be upgrading to a larger tank in the next few months). I've had him a few weeks now and the first week he was eating about 15-20 crickets a day. And has eaten a couple of wax worms since I've had him. He refuses to eat any veggies. The last few days he's only eating a couple crickets per day. He's very active and pooping daily (not runny). His underbelly and neck gets pretty dark a few hours a day which I've learned is stress marks. I've bathed him twice and he seems to enjoy that and I mist him 2-3 times a day and he'll lick the water.
Our current set up is this:
20 gal tank with screen lid.
20 Watt Fluorescent UVB/UVA coil bulb and the Mini Halogen 50w basking bulb in a Heat & UVB basking fixture. **The cave a log sits under these two lights.
Mini Halogen Night Red 25w in the mini dome. **This sits in the middle close to the basking/uvb lights.
Ceramic Heat emitter (I only have that in case the temp gets too cold during the night) **This is currently on the far left but not turned on. I move it close to the basking area when needed.
A temp and humidity gauge.
The temps under his basking stays between 95-106 during the day. Night is around 80.
Far left side during the day stays about 80-85 and at night 70-80.
The humidity is staying between 20-25
All of the lights sit on top of the screen lid and are on a timer. On at 730am and off at 730pm.
I'm worried that my lighting setup is not good enough since his appetite has slowed down so much. Is the screen lid blocking too much of his UVB? I'm worried that I wont be able to put a tube light on the inside of the tank since it's only a 20gal. I've read so much information and I just want him to be healthy and happy.
Any advice on my set up and what could be causing him to not be eating as much as he was in the beginning. He has gotten a little fatter since the day I got him.
110080-3687820477.jpg
110080-3093073154.jpg
110080-6055927030.jpg
110080-5471666292.jpg

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Here are the best lights for your animal https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/jungledawn-ledbar/
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/heating/heat-projector/
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/heating/halogen-heat-lamp/
The Coil light you have isn't sufficient enough for them synthesize enough calcium for them which will develop bone cancer so you need a Prot5 or equivalent.The red light disturbs their sleep patterns and bothers their eyes should be thrown out since you have the CHE red bulbs arent good for any reptiles The mini halogens arent good for them either The ceramic heat bulb is useable but if can the deep heat protector is much superior but you need a nice bright basking bulb. 20 gallon is not an appropriate size enclosure for a bearded dragon even a juvenile

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
The humidity is fine alittle higher wouldn't hurt below 20% usually can cause dehydration for him not wanting to eat could be lack of UVB and enrichment or both maybe . What vitamins/supplements are you giving what are your staple feeders also

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your little one looks pretty healthy and well fed, not to mention really cute. :) As the other poster mentioned you need a good long tube uvb ASAP. The 20 gallon long tank is actually perfect for a baby, they do better in a smaller tank at first because if they DO start developing a problem, which is usually a lighting issue, it can be corrected much more easily in the 20 gal. than in a 40 gal. or larger. Lack of proper uvb exposure can cause MBD , not bone cancer , but it is serious if they develop it. And I agree that a red light is detrimental but you have a CHE which is great for night time heat if the temps. get below 67 F at night.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
AHBD":13l748xt said:
Hi there, your little one looks pretty healthy and well fed, not to mention really cute. :) As the other poster mentioned you need a good long tube uvb ASAP. The 20 gallon long tank is actually perfect for a baby, they do better in a smaller tank at first because if they DO start developing a problem, which is usually a lighting issue, it can be corrected much more easily in the 20 gal. than in a 40 gal. or larger. Lack of proper uvb exposure can cause MBD , not bone cancer , but it is serious if they develop it. And I agree that a red light is detrimental but you have a CHE which is great for night time heat if the temps. get below 67 F at night.
Fyi Metabolic bone diesease is cancer

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, MBD is not a cancer, it is calcium deficiency that has caused the bones to sometimes develop improperly and/or break and deform. It can be halted with proper lighting and uvb exposure. Cancer can't be halted in that way. Both can be devastating .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom