Zen Habitat 240 Gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with a tank this size (4x2x4)? I currently have my dragon in a 120 gallon Zen habitats enclosure and I like to spoil him so I’m contemplating upgrading to the bigger tank. I have a few questions though when it comes to a tank this large.

-How would I adequately heat a tank that large? I’m thinking I could just add higher basking spots but they’d need to be almost three feet tall for the temperature to reach over 100.

-If I have him in an enclosure that is 4ft tall would I need to be worried about him potentially falling off something and hurting himself?

-Is a 240 gallon tank just too large for a bearded dragon? I also realize the UVB isn’t going to extend much past the first 12in of the tank so that’s a potential problem as well.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
240g isn't too big for a dragon, but IMO 4 feet tall is too much for a dragon. It's not so much the gallons, it's the dimensions.

While dragons do benefit to a degree the ability to climb, they benefit more so from extra floor space. IMO, 2 feet is quite tall already, and provides them plenty of vertical space to climb. If you want to upgrade, I'd upgrade length + width, not height.

Just my opinion of course. There are a few on here I believe who have 4 foot tall enclosures.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dragons need more floor space that height--- you would need to redo your lighting like getting a longer fixture like a 36" -- you could put shelving in the tank so hes climbing on the shelving instead of decor pieces and yes 4 ft tall is too tall for basking pieces -- to be honest I would leave him in the 120 gallon tank -- but that is up to you --
Karrie

Shadowablaze

Original Poster
That’s probably a good idea to look into a deeper or longer tank rather than a higher one. I just want him to have a good amount of space.

He does currently have a T5 10.0 that’s 36in and is mounted inside but with a much higher tank he’d have to climb a lot more to get into it’s effective range. Currently he basks around 12 inches from the UVB but can get to a point that is around 5 inches from it. He doesn’t spend much time there though.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
If you go with the 240 I would get a t5 14% dragon bulb from arcadia. It’s basically a 12% t5 just stronger they are better long range and then you won’t have to get such high decor or build shelves and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom