T5 HO Reptisun 10.0 too close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
is 10 inches too close for a bulb this strong or will it be good. Directly under the uvb bulb there is decor that is 10 inches away from the bulb. The basking spot is around 12 from bulb

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds about right. I usually recommend 12-14'' from the main basking area. If there are branches etc. that allow closer access, that's OK. They'll move closer or further away depending what they want.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
i got super worried when i read an article saying that at 10 inches or less it was to high output and at dangerous levels. This article was based off of uvb readings and what not I'm still learning all about that. Long story short i have got new decor since my last uvb posts lol and on top of my mesh it is 12 inches away from basking decor 10 in some areas, that's probably better than 10 inches inside right? she has not been herself lately and moves around on the decors so much but not in a energetic way in a annoyed way. i have another thread going right now in behavior and health explains a lil bit about what she has been doing lately. thanks for your reply cooper dragon, shout out to Darwin!
I have the hood sitting at the front of cage and basking in the back corner. Should i place the hood with the brand emblem facing me or spin it around i don't know if the reflector points outward better a certain way should that matter?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
ty i feel silly sometimes asking the questions i ask but just want the best for her

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it's shining through a screen then 10'' is definitely appropriate. The fixture can face either way, that won't make a difference for the reflector.

I just took a measurement from my Arcadia T5 to give you an idea of the output at distances. The output is pretty similar to the ReptiSun 10. At 10'' I read 4.6 UVI. Generally 3-6 UVI is a good range for the basking site. I get a UVI of 6 at 8'' below the bulb. This is directly below the bulb, the output drops as you move to the sides so that provides a nice gradient as well. If I put a fine mesh screen in front of the light, at 9'' I read UVI of 3 and at 4'' I read UVI of 6. My point is just that you are not causing any issues with having the bulb at that distance.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Yeah OK thank you Cooper it was 10 inches unobstructed inside the screen I have now put it back on top of the enclosure so it is 11” to 14”. 11” being right under the UVB With a few inches gradient up onto the basking ledge. I appreciate you running that test for me I’m super bad with numbers not to mention acronyms like UVI. So the 11 to 14 through my mesh should be good right she’s basking more normal today already but I also have a storm going on outside so it’s a little hard to tell from her behavior I don’t think she likes the wind and rain oh and not forgetting to mention thunder

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
10'' unobstructed is OK. If you're shining through mesh, then closer to about 6-9'' depending on how fine the mesh top is. Finer mesh will intercept more. My quick test was done through pretty fine mesh, so those numbers will be conservative.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
dang, so I'm gonna need to switch up again. It's 10-12 obstructed on the mesh. I either need decor raised up or put it back in then right ?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Okay I’ll propably put new wood in there today, what do you do to cure things?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To cure them? If I bring something in from outside I will rinse it off really well. Wood items I'll then bake in the oven on low for 30 min or so to sanitize them. Stones I just wash off and add them.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Thank you man yeah I know I wasn’t very descriptive was I I’m going to get wood oak I believe that’s OK and yeah I’m going to bake it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom