Ceramic Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

blupurplefrog

So I'm a first time beardie mummy and looking for some advice in regards to Ceramic heaters at night.

My little guy is supposedly 4months old (tho going by growth charts im saying younger)

He lives in a 4ft x2ft tank. Substrate is vinyl flooring.
I have a UVB bulb and a natural daylight florescent tubes. We also have a 100w Daylight basking bulb.

Cold side temps 80 hot side 105 during the day.

Currently eating Calci worms and small locusts plus greens.

So my question is this. My husband stated this morning when he woke up King Boo's tank was registering around 60. I know this is too low for him. So I was wondering if it was possible to remove the Daylight basking bulb and replace it with a Ceramic Heater with dimming thermostat. Would the lights from the fluorescent rubbing be enough or would he require both the Daylight Basking and the ceramic bulb.

I want to ensure he has the best possible.

Massive thanks in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need two good lights in the tank --- one good bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- and one good long tube w/ a fixture w/ reflector UVB either a T 5 or a T 8 and placed properly in the tank w correct distance - a CHE for at nite that will keep the tank 65-75-- trial and error w/ the basking bulb and the CHE -- I have a 120 gallon tank 4x2x2 and use a 100 watt CHE set in the middle of the tank on top of screen -- it requires a dome w / a ceramic socket - I use Flukers domes w/ a Exo Terra bulb ---
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since you have the daylight fluorescent along with the UVB, the visible light might be enough to get away with using a ceramic heat emitter (or better yet, an Arcadia heat projector). Ideally though, I'd keep the setup the way you have it and perhaps add another socket over the "cool side" opposite of where your basking light is. Then put a heat projector bulb there and attach that to a thermostat. A pulse or on/off thermostat works well with those so no need to invest in the more costly dimming thermostats. I have mine set to kick on at around 19C and turn off around 23C. https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-deep-heat-projector-lamp/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom