120 degree temp dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone, I’m new here and working on setting up a terrarium for my future beardie. Most of my temperatures seem right(terrarium is 4x2x2)-cool end has gradient of 75, 80, 85 degrees and basking rock is fairly big with a gradient of 100, 105, 110 so a bearded dragon could pick preferred temperature.
However, one annoying little section of the basking rock(probably 1/2”x5”, the red highlight) gets up to 120 degrees. Is this fine as long as it is just a tiny area, or is it a burn risk?
109926-7295433534.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How are you getting the temps for the basking rock ? NO stick ons - I am assuming its w/ a IR gun or do you have a digital probe? IR guns can get thrown off by certain materials they are made out of so its best to use a digital probe
Karrie

epauletteshark

Original Poster
Wow, you were totally right! I was using an IR gun but when I put the probe from the CHE thermostat against the basking rock it said 115. Thanks!

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I found that same thing out not long ago lol it was my IR gun putting up the temp. It has auto sets but still messes up i don't use it much anymore i just run her baths with it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Small hot spots could pose an issue if the readings are correct. It might be best to dial the temps down a little bit so your hot spots aren't reading above 110 or so. You may also be able to diffuse the light a bit if it seems like the bulb isn't distributing evenly (this happens with some of the lamps that have bumpy/pocked glass). It does come down to the preference of your dragon though, so watch their behavior around the basking area. If they sit to the side more often, bring the temps down a little. If they are often basking directly on the hottest spot, bring them up a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom