Rabbit hutch to Beardie Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mousie

Hello everyone! I am making plans to purchase this rabbit hutch to convert into a forever home for my 2 dragons. https://www.amazon.com/PawHut-Stacked-Wooden-Outdoor-Rabbit/dp/B00ELTWXVA
Here is a breakdown of rhe modifications I want to make:
1. I'll be removing the front wire and replacing it with slide able plexiglass glass.
2. I'll be keeping the wire on the left hand side for ventilation and adding a vent cover to the other side to allow air flow.
3. I'll be drilling holes through thr back so that I can insert light fixtures. Both for the basking spot and for my to bulb fixture.
4.The bottom pull out tray is plastic but I will be covering the wood with a reptiles safe water based sealer due to the fact that this enclosure is made of fir wood.

So my question is has anyone used a rabbit hutch as an enclosure before? The only thing I worry about is the sealant for the wood. Any suggestions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could seal it with a couple of polyurethane coats and that should work well. That will also provide some water resistance. I'd worry that the enclosure is a bit too small though. It looks like the whole thing is only 36'' tall, so dividing that into two areas, it wouldn't leave much overhead space for lighting or to build places to climb. For an adult dragon, I'd rather see a single enclosure with those dimensions, so you might want to look into something larger (at least much taller).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom