4x2x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
I just finished building my beardie's 4x2x2! I'm very excited and I'm in the interior phase. I'm very confused regarding the UVB. What would be the instance where I would get a 14% instead of a 12% Arcadia? I know one's a lot stronger, but I don't know which one to get. I want to give him tall branches and such to be able to climb pretty high in the tank. I'm pretty sure that If I get a T5/12% that would be possible. But what if I get a 14%? Will I still be able to build him high up to climb? Or would I need the branches and decor to stop at just a few inches tall to not get him too close to the 14%?

*The tank does not have mesh on top, I will be mounting any UVB inside.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you're going to allow him lots of climbing heights, I'd go with the 12% and adjust your basking surface height to be 12 inches from it or so.

I opted with the 14% bulb because my basking sites are 4-6 inches tall max pretty much.

You could do the 14% 22inch and just keep the tall climbing areas on the cool end, away from the uvb.

You have a few options that all will work.

-Brandon

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What's the closest I can safely get my beardie to a 14% bulb?
Also, if I get a 12% should I be worried about not enough UVB getting to the bottom of the tank or does it not really matter? And there's no difference between a 12% Arcadia and a Reptisun T5?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No difference between the 12% and the T 5 they are the same -- distance for a 14% bulb is they require a tank of 24" height - I had mine w/ basking decor directly under it around 17-18 inches from the bulb and they did fine -- 12-15 inches requirement for a T 5 bulb -- so if your using a T 5 you want that distance --
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the help Claud and Karrie, I decided to go with a 36 inch 12% or Reptisun T5 to allow for lots of high climbing areas.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would say the 12% is marginally stronger than the 10.0. Maybe only enough to be effective an inch further or so. Unfortunately, I've never had the 12%, only the 10.0s and the 14% so i've tested both, just not the 12%

Good, i'm glad you went with the 34 inch version of the 12%, I was going to recommend that if you didn't want to go 22in 14%

-Brandon

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I went to order a 36" 12% bulb and fixture from Arcadia because it comes with the bulb already saving me $20 over the Reptisun. I'm looking on pangeareptile.com, but the Arcadia one is out of stock. I don't mind just buying a Reptisun fixture, but I would have to buy a 10.0 bulb too. Can someone please provide me with some other websites where a 36" Arcadia fixture WITH a 12% bulb is in stock? Fast shipping is important too.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I'll probably go with the ReptiSun for a $10 difference. It also says 35" bulb, which I've personally never heard of before, only 34". I don't want any issues in the future when changing out bulbs or upgrading.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The fixture is 35 inches I believe, for use with 34inch bulbs. They are all standarad sizes so you won't have issues with bulbs in the future.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom