New MVB search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone this morning we had a slight issue with Ziggys tank. Her mercury vapor bulb that was an evergreen pets brand bulb was moved a little too close to the plastic rim on the top of her lid I meant to put it back when I woke up but my dad turned her light on for me while I was still asleep and it burned right through the plastic so now she’s out of her tank I have a blanket wrapped heating pad for her to sit on and a blanket on top of her making sure it’s not too hot long story short I need to buy her a new mercury vapor bulb. What’s the best one I could find? She’s in a 40 gallon tank for reference. Thanks for the help in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't trust that brand anyways. Last I checked, they don't list the output of the bulb (so how are you supposed to know what distance you need it to be for proper UV exposure?)

If you are against a regular basking bulb + linear UVB (the preferred method) I would stick to an MVB like the powersun. Or an MVB from Arcadia.

-Brandon

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1ioomqtw said:
I wouldn't trust that brand anyways. Last I checked, they don't list the output of the bulb (so how are you supposed to know what distance you need it to be for proper UV exposure?)

If you are against a regular basking bulb + linear UVB (the preferred method) I would stick to an MVB like the powersun. Or an MVB from Arcadia.

-Brandon
What kind of linear UVB do you recommend for a 40 gallon?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
24" fixture like Zoo Med w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- if the tank is 18" use the T 5 bulb -- if your tank is low like 16" go w/ the T 8 --- distance and placement is crucial for the bulbs etc --- a bright white basking bulb --- No off color yellow or colored bulb
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":o60jwf25 said:
24" fixture like Zoo Med w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- if the tank is 18" use the T 5 bulb -- if your tank is low like 16" go w/ the T 8 --- distance and placement is crucial for the bulbs etc --- a bright white basking bulb --- No off color yellow or colored bulb
Karrie
Ok great. Would you recommend a MVB? If so which one I’m trying to feel out my options.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think Solar Glo's and Mega Rays are supposed to be pretty good -- lets see who else can recommend some
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd try a PowerSun or Arcadia as mentioned. The 100w versions are usually good at around 12-14''. Lightyourreptiles.com has an Arcadia with a wattage converter and dome fixture as a kit so you can use the European version in the US. I've ordered both of these recently and will be testing output and distances for both as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom