125 gallon uvb lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as an early christmas gift, i’m finally getting gnomeo his (much needed) bigger tank, but i’m having a bit of trouble trying to figure out the proper lighting for it. it’s a 125 gallon aquarium and stand combo with led strip lights, and although it’s a bit pricey, for all i’m getting, i don’t mind. however, i don’t want to have to spend more than i need to on an entirely new setup, so i was wondering if the hood for the leds could also be used for uvb lights? i don’t have the measurements for them, but i do have a picture of the tank itself if that would help any.
106954-123855379.jpg
any general lighting advice is also appreciated, and i’m sorry for the dumb question! uvb hoods are just so expensive : (

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a nice big tank ! Sorry I can't help with your question, if you're getting this from a store can you ask them ? Maybe someone else here will have more info for you, anyway I bumped this up for more visibility. I know you don't want to spend more than you need to. :)

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
I can't add much either. The best place to start in my opinion is to see what kind of socket the fixtures are. You would probably need T5 for that size enclosure. Also, look at the voltage and size. For example, a 36 inch UVB fixture from ZooMed fits a 34" bulb from what I know. I'm not 100% sure on the voltage part tho. If there's a way you can buy a bulb that fits the size and socket and give it a try I think that might be best (as long as it's safe). Otherwise, I hope this helped.

furbyteeth

Original Poster
thanks for the suggestions. the fixtures are apparently from aqueon, a sister company to zilla, and the manual that came with them advised against what i was planning, so i don't think i'll be using them any time soon. i guess this calls for a new 3-4' hood and a funeral for my bank account

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, a LED fixture will not run a fluorescent bulb. You will need to get a fixture specific to either a T8 or a T5. And a T5 would definitely be the suggest route in a tank that big.

Well, at least it's only a big initial investment that you make once :)
Lots of space to fill it with decorations too.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom