I need help with lights!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know which uvb is best, which uva is best and what light fixtures go with them? Also, do both need to be inside the cage or just the uvb? How would I hang the uvb in the cage? I found this: Carolina Custom Cages Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5HO 22 Reptile Lighting Fluorescent Tube
But is it just the fixture and not the light? I think I may be getting a 40 or 50 gallon for my bearded dragon.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
With a 50 gallon tank I think you should have a 22-24 inch UVB bulb. I recommend Reptisun 10.0 T5 or T8. T8 generally goes inside of the enclosure, and people usually put T5's on top because they're a lot more powerful. 8" should be a good distance for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-260...ywords=reptisun+10.0+t5&qid=1602868817&sr=8-3 That seems like a pretty good value to me.

https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630 If you want to save some money get one of those (they might be out of stock) and just a fixture with a reflector that is the right size from a home depot or Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...words=100w+basking+bulb&qid=1602869538&sr=8-5 I use those in the summer, but my house gets colder in the winter so I just swap it out for a 150w when I feel like it's needed.

Where you place the heat lamp doesn't really matter as long as you're getting the right temps and it's not too close to hurt your bearie. I would place it on top tho.

You can mount the UVB with hooks, paperclips, velcro, or just get a T5 and place it on top but make sure it's still close enough.

By the way the thing you said you found is the light only, not the fixture.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Screen makes a difference-- if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it will need to go inside the tank --- 12-15 inches above basking decor
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
zachburnav":vwmr90y4 said:
With a 50 gallon tank I think you should have a 22-24 inch UVB bulb. I recommend Reptisun 10.0 T5 or T8. T8 generally goes inside of the enclosure, and people usually put T5's on top because they're a lot more powerful. 8" should be a good distance for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-260...ywords=reptisun+10.0+t5&qid=1602868817&sr=8-3 That seems like a pretty good value to me.

https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630 If you want to save some money get one of those (they might be out of stock) and just a fixture with a reflector that is the right size from a home depot or Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...words=100w+basking+bulb&qid=1602869538&sr=8-5 I use those in the summer, but my house gets colder in the winter so I just swap it out for a 150w when I feel like it's needed.

Where you place the heat lamp doesn't really matter as long as you're getting the right temps and it's not too close to hurt your bearie. I would place it on top tho.

You can mount the UVB with hooks, paperclips, velcro, or just get a T5 and place it on top but make sure it's still close enough.

By the way the thing you said you found is the light only, not the fixture.
Alright! Thanks a lot. So the reptisun and the basking bulb you recommended are two separate things? What I mean is that they both arent uvb? Sorry, you just confused me a bit

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is a long tube fixture and the basking bulb goes in a single dome--- you need it to keep temps 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a adult / juvie --- the screen makes a difference on the UVB --- as stated in my last post
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1whv24xe said:
The UVB is a long tube fixture and the basking bulb goes in a single dome--- you need it to keep temps 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a adult / juvie --- the screen makes a difference on the UVB --- as stated in my last post
Karrie
Okay. Thank you! Do you guys have any recommendations for the uva?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If your tank is a 40+ gallon a 24" fixture w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb- if the tank is 16" tall get a T 8--- you need the height for the T 5 ---
you can get these on www.pangeareptiles.com these people are fast and good they ship Fed Ex
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3hd73c88 said:
If your tank is a 40+ gallon a 24" fixture w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb- if the tank is 16" tall get a T 8--- you need the height for the T 5 ---
you can get these on http://www.pangeareptiles.com these people are fast and good they ship Fed Ex
Karrie
So what youre saying is that the reptisun covers both or is just uva?...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am thinking both --- I only have a bright white basking bulb and a UVB fixture in my tank -- no other lights ---
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2oyxjem3 said:
I am thinking both --- I only have a bright white basking bulb and a UVB fixture in my tank -- no other lights ---
Karrie
Ohh... So you recommend a reptisun and a basking bulb and thats it? Would they be on the same side of the tank to allow the other side to get cooler? I currently use a zoo med basking 75 watt lamp as my basking light and a natural light thing also from zoo med(I don't know the name of it)

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
Impawsiblesquad":3urez5nl said:
KarrieRee":3urez5nl said:
Karrie
Ohh... So you recommend a reptisun and a basking bulb and thats it? Would they be on the same side of the tank to allow the other side to get cooler? I currently use a zoo med basking 75 watt lamp as my basking light and a natural light thing also from zoo med(I don't know the name of it)
I plan on upgrading and fixing all my possible setup problems and kinks this christmas.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need the UVB go here and look at the fixtures www.pangeareptiles.com zoo med 24" then look at the T 5 bulbs - Reptisun 10.0 - the basking bulb is a bright white bulb--- I use exo Terra 150 watt for my 120 gallon tank--- those are trial and error- you need a digital probe thermometer-- that is a must-- ideally the lights need to be on the same side of the tank-- sometimes that doesn't happen -- he will go to the light he needs if you cannot get them together
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3vj52n40 said:
You need the UVB go here and look at the fixtures http://www.pangeareptiles.com zoo med 24" then look at the T 5 bulbs - Reptisun 10.0 - the basking bulb is a bright white bulb--- I use exo Terra 150 watt for my 120 gallon tank--- those are trial and error- you need a digital probe thermometer-- that is a must-- ideally the lights need to be on the same side of the tank-- sometimes that doesn't happen -- he will go to the light he needs if you cannot get them together
Karrie
Alright! That answers all my questions. Thank you so much :D

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
@KarrieRee I saw you said in a few posts that coils are bad... I don't exactly know what they are but I think I might have one. If you can, could you elaborate?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look on the bulb -- is it in a dome? The brand and wattage should be on the bulb
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom