Proper UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frnknstn

Hello again!

I'm scurrying to make sure I have everything just right for my baby. I currently have a coil UVB but from the beginning I despised coils and everything they've done to harm beardies. The only reason it's still in use is because we're waiting for monday, aka payday, to order a better UVB- the baby was a rather... "impromptu" shipping, so we received her a bit earlier than we could prepare for, which is why it wasn't ordered prior. Thankfully only a few days have passed, so it's still early. During this window I've been researching extensively to ensure I grab the correct one the first time.
Would this UVB and fixture be suitable for a 40gal tank and a baby beardie? Is it too strong, or not enough? I see this 10.0 T5 being suggested everywhere, so I just want to be sure.

Fixture: here
Light: here

All help and advice appreciated! :D

Draven88

Hatchling Member
The fixture and bulb you linked are both good. Th bulb is one of the best along with arcadia bulbs. The fixture is a good size with reflector (which will help with providing optimal UVB). You will want approximately 12-14 inches of distance from basking spot if there is no screen in between. If there is a screen aim for 8-10 inches as it will block some UVB.

Posting a pic of the setup would allow more specific help.

Frnknstn

Original Poster
Thank you for your insight. I'll be sure to order that combo, then!

I'll happily post pics. I apologize for the poor photo quality and rather sparse set up. As said before, many changes are being made- I also included my current blueprints to the tank itself. I forgot to add that I planned to swap the branch and rock, turning said branch into a basking spot and the rock into a cool hide.
Right now, the UVB is the top priority.

109340-7659116406.jpg

full

Draven88

Hatchling Member
From my personal experience with a very similar tree it works great for babies but it will eventually be outgrown. Also when it comes to maintaining a accurate basking temp a wider location is easier to monitor and provide a gradient. If you want the cave for the cool side, i would get a larger log for the basking spot and keep the tree for another choice to climb on. The UVB you want to be next to the basking light so that they get UVB while basking. You are correct that the gauge is not accurate enough.

Also while your 40 gal is great for a baby you really will want an upgraded size for an adult. While you wont need that for a while you may want to look around at options and the DIY/Enclosure sections. Weather you buy or build an adult size enclosure you will see many ideas and can get a head start.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

Frnknstn

Original Poster
Thank you for your suggestion and advice with the tree. I noticed that as well with the basking- the rock hide is rather steep, and she tends to just move to the other side of the enclosure when she's had enough, rather than scoot down a bit. It's not the best for a basking gradient. As for the tank, I've been told I'll need to upgrade later down the line to a least a 75! I'm planning on creating a cabinet enclosure if I can :D

And Sadie, the site has the option for a 22' as well, which is what I was looking at! :)

Frnknstn

Original Poster
Completely unprompted update, but I swapped her branch with her hide rock for her basking spot, and she LOVES it! She's gaping while basking, which is the first time I've ever seen her do that. This tells me she's getting enough heat, at least! (And it isn't RI gaping- she breathed normally outside of this basking session and the humidity in the tank is fine! Just to be safe, though, I'm buying her an EVA dehumidifier.)
She even closes her eyes for a few seconds and basks with her head held up high. I'm keeping an eye out for any issues, but so far, I think she's doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom