New Beardie Tank Set-up Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunDragon

Hello Everyone,
My family and I are new to beardies and about to get our first one in a few days. I have done lots of research but I have several questions. We have a 40 gal tank with ceramic tile flooring. I have a high "branch" like climbing structure under my basking light (100W) at a distance to confirm 110 max F with a digital probe thermometer. The tank came with a compact Flourescent 5.0 set up (which is what I have in the photo) which I am planning to get rid of. I am in the process of acquiring a UVB T5 10.0 Reptisun 24" long 24W light fixture to put in a T5 10.0 24W 22" long flourescent bulb. The middle of the cage is around 82 deg F with a digital therm I have in there and the cool side is showing around 75-77 (with a stick on therm.)

Question 1 - for a 40 gallon (36"x18"x18"), with my flooring the distance from top to bottom is closer to 16", will the T5 10.0 UVB be too powerful?

Question 2 - my basking area is high up, will it be too high for having the T5 10.0 UVB on the top of the lid? Should I move the UVB further from the Basking bulb? If so, how many inches away from the basking spot (where the driftwood and climbing structure meet)? I'd like to move everything around now and have it set before we get the little one (baby - around 6 wks).

Question 3 - Should my hide face away from the front of the cage and should it be a certain distance from the water bowl? I am planning on getting a larger hide soon.

Question 4 - We have a red light for at night. The room is usually pretty constant temp but when winter comes it will change. Can I use this red light (if and when needed) until I can get a CHE bulb?

Question 5 -Would you skip feeding the baby the first day so it can settle in, or feed it so many hours after being in the tank? And how many hours should you wait? And how long after getting it should you wait to try and handle it?

I have pictures posted below. I apologize one of them is pretty dark. Please let me know what you think. :)

109342-7962013869.jpg
109342-9376495862.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would lower the basking area since babies like to jump and the tile is going to be hard if he misses and lands on it --- so the UVB can go on top of the screen but the screen needs to be a wide hole like a dime or something similar - if its a fine mesh like a screen door then it needs to be inside the tank w/ basking decor directly underneath 12-15 inches -- I would take that log you have on the far left side of the tank and lay it so the stick part is laying the floor and the big trunk part is under the basking light- it is optimal to have the basking areas together but sometimes that is not possible -- w/ the log set the way I described its going to give the dragon a basking temp gradient
Please ditch the red light - they are harmful to the eyes and can cause eye damage - dragons eyes are very sensitive to light -- you need to get a CHE if your tank is falling below 65 at nite -- if its about that your good - dragons like cool and dark to sleep
I would downsize the water bowl if at all - some dragons do not use them - and they can cause higher humidity levels in the tank -- if your dragon is eating his vegies / salads rinse them before serving and having your insects gut loaded will also hydrate your dragon-
Middle of tank should be in the 90's and cool side of the tank in the 80's during the day
You can offer food insects and salad - he may eat the first day or two and then not eat anything at all - its called relocation stress - I would not handle him at all - hes going to be scared and start w/ putting your hands in the tank so he gets used to you and your hand - I would try and start hand feeding him w/ some BSFL or some salad - something thats going to get him used to your hand - you can put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in the tank w/ your scent on it so he gets used to you -- BSFL are a good staple feeder for babies especially -- hes going to eat those insects so make sure your dusting them w/ calcium D3 once per day 5 x per week and vitamins w/ beta carotene once per feeding 2 x per week - do not coat the insects so they look like a powered donut - lightly -- you can use a ziploc bag for crickets and a disposable potato salad or mac salad container for dubia roaches - If you have any more questions please ask
Karrie

SunDragon

Original Poster
Thank you so much!

I moved some things around and put in the new T5 10.0 UVB. I moved the log several times and this was the only way to keep it closer to the basking light, however, I am not able to get any warmer than 103. Should I put in a hammock slightly above it or switch my 100w basking bulb to a 150w for more heat at that distance?

And is there a good reference book for care that you could recommend?

109342-8421075591.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your basking temp is good at 103- as your dragon gets older its good to offer a gradient of heat - a piece of decor would offer that something like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
It doesnt need to be this piece but if you can find something that offers them a place to sit stand against lay on that would offer different temps for them to bask --
this website has all kinds of info if you look on the left side and scroll down under articles there is info there -- I would look around on this site and if you cant find an answer your looking for please ask
Karrie

SunDragon

Original Poster
Thank you again! Yes, that log I have in there is actually exactly the one you gave me the link to. Ok so the baby beardie will be good at 103.

I’ve noticed this site has great info. I just need to look around more into the different discussion boards.

Thank you again for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom