Bulbs keep burning out :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuc

Hi, I have a zoo med dual light kit and I bought two 100W UVA light bulbs. What is the normal life of these bulbs? They are a bit pricey and noticed that they only last a couple weeks or up to a month or two and they burn out. What kind of light bulbs do you guys use? I only have 1 turned at a time, once one burns out, i turn on the other one. Any bulbs you guys can recommend to me would be greatly appreciated!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had this issue with the reptile specific bulbs too. I've been playing around with some different types over the years. The standard I've used that works well is a PAR38 halogen flood light. They are pretty durable and work well, but are heavy.

Recently I've been using bulbrite halogen bulbs for photography. They work well but are quite hot. Best to use with a dimmer or keep them at a good distance (mine are about 26'' from the basking area).

I have a BR30 pool/spa bulb on order that I will try next. Hopefully those will be durable, handle dimming, and produce adequate heat and bright light the way the photography bulbs have.

If you want to go with a known good standard (as of now) I'd try the PAR38 halogen bulbs. They are big and bulky but do the job. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V92RIG/

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I've also noticed that the stupid things burn out pretty quickly, but I wrote it off to the fact that they get moved and sometimes jostled as I have to take them off the top to open the hab... but I'm a stubborn witch; I save all my receipts from Petco and just trot right back there and exchange the bulb for a new one, telling them it shouldn't have burned out so soon. Haven't ever had a problem, and I haven't had to buy a new one in several months now.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
I can second that the halogen bulbs are great if you can keep the right distance for correct heat. A dimmer can work, but you still want to maintain good visual light.

I have also had good success with clear incandescent bulbs when the halogens were just too strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom