New bulb, changed behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone. Yesterday as I was cleabing Tokyo's tank I decided to change up his setup. Along with this I replaced the 100w bulb with a 150w because the temperatures were only reaching about 97* in his basking spot. After I did this he stopped basking as much as before, and now he looks lile this in the cool side of his tank:
108150-5284828525.jpg
As soon as I take him out of his tank he starts running and exploring like usual. Is it the heat thay's causing this or can it be something more serious? Because he would never just laysthere, sprawled out, squinting his eyes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What did the temp jump to after you went to the higher wattage bulb? If its too hot or not liking the warmer temp you might want to switch back to the 100 watt - they are going to bask to where they are more comfortable--- was he pooping and was the poop a good healthy poop
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok 110 is probably to warm for him - try adjusting your decor under the 100 watt bulb- see if you can bump them up to 102 or so see how that works for him
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I was finally able to get a 100w basking bulb for Tokyo. Now he seems to enjoy it. Is it ok if his basking temps are a little low like 95-99? Because if they're over 100 or so he doesn't like it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep that is fine they are going to pick spot they like to bask at --- as long as his food is coming out digested and not undigested you are good
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I have an update with the light situation. I got Tokyo a new 100w bulb instead of his 150w one and he started acting more normal (wouldn't go to the cool side and look miserable). However, now his poop seems a little undigested. I monitored it for the past few days and I've been seeing little chunks of superworms and red peppers, etc. If the temperatures get higher then 100 he won't really bask, but depending on the time of day his basking spot could be anywhere from 95-100, which he enjoys. Normally, though, he sits on his log that's somewhat near the basking spot. I think this may be the problem. Do you guys think that I should try removing his log to see if he would bask normally more? And if this doesn't work what could other causes be? I can give you his food schedule/cage setup if you need it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes take a pic of the tank and lighting and post it along w/ a pic of the poop
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This is on e of his poops from a few days ago, when he didn't bask at all.
108150-4982813145.jpg
His poops were better for the past 2 days because he was getting more heat, but I don't have any pics of them.
108150-986555601.jpg
And there's an enclosure pic. Right now he's chilling on his basking hammock because I put him there to see if he would stay. But for the past few hours I've been looking after him and he goes closer to the glass or lays on the paper towels eventually before I put him back again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the UVB is a T 8 ? You need a piece of decor directly under it -- 6-8 inches from basking decor I cant tell if the hide is really under it --- I would get something directly under so he can sit --- also is there a plastic cover over the UVB fixture - you want that bulb exposed --- the hammock are you getting a basking temp w/ the probe on it?
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm not sure exactly what the uvb bulb is, but I'm planning on replacing it in the month to come. Its by Zilla, and I took off all of the coverings. Ill put a decor piece under it later today. And yes the basking temps are measured by a Zoomed probe. As I said they go from around 96-100, if higher he acts differently.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the Zilla bulb isnt a real good one -- I would get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 -- is your fixture a 18" ? Sometimes hammocks throw off basking temps but I am thinking its correct -- so you took out the log is he sitting longer on the hammock now?
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok ill look into getting the uvb soon. But when I feel with my hand the temps feel like theyre roughly 97~. Im pretty sure the hood is 18", its the on that came with my Zilla. Do you think I should replace the hood? Is it worse then some of the Reptisun ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom