Size mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollyfm

So, I got my sweet boy and all tank and accessories from someone who was getting rid of him. They told us he was 1-2 years old and that the tank was 75 gallon. We have never owned a beardie before so besides looking it up online, we had no other way to know. Just went to look for something and found out that it’s more like a 40-50 gallon one! The dimensions are 17x17x36. I bought something for this tank to stand on specifically when we got him. Thoughts on this size and what it really is? Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
a 17x17x36 is an odd size, it's most likely an 18x18x36, that's a 40g breeder tank. And that's the minimum size you'd want to house an adult in. So it's fine to keep him in it if you want. Or you can upgrade the size if you want.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree that is a odd size --- tank measurements in gallons is 45 --- I would definitely look for something like a 75 - 120 gallon tank -- that is the recommendations for a full size dragon
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Start on FB marketplace or Craigslist --- look for one w/ front doors and if you find one make sure its sanitized really good w/ either F 10 its a vet disinfectant - or Rescue - or Zoo Meds Wipe Out - you can always go new - we do have some websites for those
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please read bottom of my last post about height if you need more help please ask
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
I just ordered the 4’x2’x2’ tank from zenhabitats. I can’t wait for it to get here and to give my sweet boy his space! Just when I thought I had his enclosure all figured out with humidity and heat and UVB and now find out it was too small. Ugh. Glad I did now and not later. I’ll for sure come back when his new tank comes to figure out where to place his basking lights and UVB. Again, I can’t thank this group enough for all the support it’s given me as a new owner. ❤️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good thats going to go right into the 4x2x2 - your gonna want a distance of 12-15 inches when it the tank comes - where is the T 5 now - is it on top of the screen or in the tank?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The one you have now should be 12-15 inches from basking so yes when the Zen comes it needs to go into that tank same distance
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom