Help with enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumoraes

Hello there...

I’m considering getting a new tank/enclosure for my bearded dragon. I currently have a 3ft one but I feel he has outgrown it now that he is 1 year old. For many reasons, I don’t think he looks too happy in there...he constantly wants to come out.

I know that the recommended size enclosure for an adult is 4ft but my issue is that I can’t fit such size tank comfortably any where in my house.

So, I was wondering if I bought a tank that was taller but still 3ft wide, would that be suitable? Would height make up for width? In that case, what would I need inside the tank to make sure he is still close enough to the uvb light? I worry that if I got a taller tank he would sit at the bottom and not get enough light or warmth.

Some expertise would be much appreciated!

Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need floor space--- height is not real good for a dragon - and yes the heating would be a issue- what is the issue w/ the area not being big enough? Like your looking at using a bookcase or something like a permanent stand?
Karrie

Jumoraes

Original Poster
I live in England...my living room has a chimney breast and some spare wall space on either sides...but not enough space for 4ft tank. I could put it in the dining room but, in the winter, it gets really cold in there. We have other rooms but we don’t use them very often and I didn’t want him to be isolated from our living space. But at the same time I don’t want the tank to be sticking out/obstructing the living room...which is already not very big. It’s a bit of a puzzle.

Jumoraes

Original Poster
Claudiusx":u667fxdh said:
What dimensions were you thinking of?

-Brandon
I was thinking 86cm width by 49cm depth and 55cm height... more or less. Would that be big enough for an adult?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I am coming up w/ a 60 gallon tank -- does that sound right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can keep him in the that tank just get him out more often - you could set up a basking light on the floor for him to go and warm up and have out time-- I don't know if that would work for you but it is just a suggestion
Karrie

Jumoraes

Original Poster
Karrie, I’m not familiar with measuring in gallons but from a quick google search I think it’s closer to a 50 gallons one.

Jumoraes

Original Poster
KarrieRee":v8iy43em said:
You can keep him in the that tank just get him out more often - you could set up a basking light on the floor for him to go and warm up and have out time-- I don't know if that would work for you but it is just a suggestion
Karrie

That’s not a bad idea! Thank you..I’ll think how that could work...
At the moment, with the Covid situation, we are a lot more at home and can let him out fairly often. But once I’m back to work, which looks like soon, I won’t be able to keep an eye on him.

In fact, with the amount of uvb he needs, how does letting him out impact on how much uvb he gets? I’ve always wondered..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Cooper dragon on here has a set up for his dragon he lets out--- he has a basking light on the floor he has set up- they can go for awhile out--- especially outside they are getting natural UVB when outdoors- I think as long as he's getting 4 hrs of lighting your good-- they will go to the light they need- meaning if you have your uvb and basking light not together in the tank they will go to the one they need
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just don't leave him out when your not home-- I think if your getting him out to roam for a couple hrs/ day or every other he will be fine
Karrie

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Seeing as you have a limit on width for the reasons you mentioned it does make things a bit more difficult, but not impossible to overcome. I think most would agree that a 4x2x2 is a great size (as an example for the below comparisons). It allows for good floor space as well as some vertical space for climbing.

Now as mentioned adding height isn't really what you are looking for and it can add other issues. So lets look at it from another way, a 4 ft wide by 2 ft deep ignoring height gives a floor space of 8 square feet. If for instance you are able to build an enclosure that is 3 ft wide x 3 ft deep this would be a floor space of 9 square feet (even better), or 3 ft wide x 2 1/2 ft deep it would be 7 1/2 square feet (a rather reasonable difference under a 4x2 that shouldn't be bad at all) all of which can be the same 2 ft height to make lighting easier to maintain for basking temps and UVB.

Hope this gives you an idea on what might work best for you

Jumoraes

Original Poster
Draven88":21kqhfy4 said:
Seeing as you have a limit on width for the reasons you mentioned it does make things a bit more difficult, but not impossible to overcome. I think most would agree that a 4x2x2 is a great size (as an example for the below comparisons). It allows for good floor space as well as some vertical space for climbing.

Now as mentioned adding height isn't really what you are looking for and it can add other issues. So lets look at it from another way, a 4 ft wide by 2 ft deep ignoring height gives a floor space of 8 square feet. If for instance you are able to build an enclosure that is 3 ft wide x 3 ft deep this would be a floor space of 9 square feet (even better), or 3 ft wide x 2 1/2 ft deep it would be 7 1/2 square feet (a rather reasonable difference under a 4x2 that shouldn't be bad at all) all of which can be the same 2 ft height to make lighting easier to maintain for basking temps and UVB.

Hope this gives you an idea on what might work best for you

Thank you...It’s a great suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom