Temps not right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollyfm

Hi! I finally got my infrared heat gun today and I scanned my guy’s tank just from the front to see from one end to the other it goes from 85-75 degrees! I tried top to bottom too but it didn’t change. I have a 150 watt basking light that is a week old as well as the sunblaster T5 reflector lamp and the corresponding light that goes in that as suggested in this group up that is also a week old. What else am I doing wrong that it’s not warm enough in his tank? He’s been under his hammock the last couple days so I was wondering if it’s too warm! Guess not. Help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What is the actual basking spot where he sits? Your T 5 is not going to give off heat --- you need temps for a adult bearded dragon 95-110 basking --- middle of tank 90's and cool side of tank 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite --- where is the tank? Is it in a cool room is it on the floor --- this has effect on the temps in the tank -- what size is the tank and is it made out of glass wood etc?
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
Karrie you’ve been my lifesaver! It’s a 75 gallon glass tank. He has a hammock in a corner and a fake tree/branch thing he can climb up to get super high. Both those I’d say are on the same side of the tank so it can be a gradient of temps. The tank is on a desk. We have two story house with finished basement and it’s on the main level. I mean, I closed off the vent by his tank too so the ac wouldn’t make him too cold. Our house is set for 74 degrees which I didn’t think was that cold in summer. Any other thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the tank under that vent or by it? Cover it- is the room closed off? Tank should be room temp at nite and warmer w/ lights on-- so your basking temp is what? And is the tank GLASS-- you can try insulating the back w/ some foam- blanket etc but do not get it by the basking bulb you don't want a fire- I would try covering vent first see if that fixes issue--
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
Ok I can put a towel over the vent??? The tank is not over the vent but close to it. The room he’s in is our formal living room. It’s open concept so that leads to our kitchen. No walls or doors between rooms. A doorway is between the kitchen and dining room on other side of the kitchen.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes -- you can also try covering screen on top to keep heat in like maybe half of it- w/ a piece of wood or a towel folded in half - something so heat can't escape
Karrie

takisha08

Can someone help me please? My terrarium temps seem higher than normal. The hot side is showing 99. Probe is at the bottom of the enclosure. The cool side is reading 88 and the probe is also on the bottom of the enclosure.

Terrarium is usually really 95 or 95 on the hot side with the top of the basking rock reading at 100-105. And around 83 on the cool side.

What could cause this?

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so last post your weren't getting enough heat now it's too hot! What has changed since you last posted
Karrie

takisha08

It’s the weirdest thing. I haven’t changed one thing. Temps have been good. I haven’t moved the light or anything. I have digital thermometers, so I feel like they are accurate. Right now the hot side is saying 99.9 and I don’t have time to check the top of the rock because I have to go to work.
But I have to assume that it’s hotter at the top because the probe is at the bottom. The cool side is 87.6 right now which I think is okay, right?

She doesn’t appear to be in distress or anything and she moves back and forth between the hot and cool and her rock has a cave under it to hang out in.

I cannot figure it out!

Takisha

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your room temp has it changed? Are you not running the AC? Did you put a piece of wood or blanket to heat it up or keep heat in? Is the room closed off? The cool side is too warm for 87-- and the hot side are you talking about the middle of the tank? You need to have three temps going in the tank - cool 80's - warm 90's and basking/ hot 95-110- Do you have a bulb of any kind on the cool side?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom