Arcadia 14% T5 UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
My bearded dragon doesn't want to bask anymore, rather just hide all the time. He was using the Zoomed Reptisun T5 10.0 been using since Jan this year. I have a backup megaray bulb just in case that he can use which he was actually basking with. Just wondering if I should go with the Arcadia 14% T5 bulb. I can either mount inside or on top of his custom wooden enclosure screen mesh (4ft x 2ft x 2ft) if the rays are too strong inside of the enclosure. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have the 14% now in my 4x2x2 and it is mounted clear to the top of the tank / screen - you want a good distance since they are strong - you want a low basking decor piece closer to the floor - I have a rock that sits directly under it appox 18 inches from the UVB - in August I am switching out to the T 5 Reptisun simply because I could not get any Arcadias here -- they were out of stock everywhere - I wanted to go to the Arcadia 12% but no one had them so I went w/ the Reptisun for now - I would like to switch back to the Arcadias next time they need replaced
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Hi there.
How old is your repchild?
Are you thinking something may be wrong?
What are you using for a basking bulb?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He is about 3 years old. Not too sure, he just seems to be hiding and sleeping. But whenever hes outside, hes really active so I'm thinking that the UV isn't really strong for him. For his basking bulb just using a 50w zoomed basking reptile bulb.

Perhaps I should get the 12% Arcadia tube and have it mounted under the screen mesh then? Just trying to figure out whats the best way to go here. Or perhaps I should build him an outdoor enclosure then wouldnt have to worry about bulbs lol :lol:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your uvb should still be good- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- I would not recommend getting rid of your bulbs
Karrie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
His basking temps are anywhere from 90 to 100F. I use an infrared temp gun as well as a digital probe. He is an extremely hardest dragon to please lol

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Does your uvb fixture have a reflector on it?
Just trying to see if we can pinpoint anything or if he is just hard to please as you say. ;)

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
WinFam01":2spyd0in said:
Does your uvb fixture have a reflector on it?
Just trying to see if we can pinpoint anything or if he is just hard to please as you say. ;)

Yes, it has a reflector in it. Its the zoomed T5 fixture. I have two sizes for him which is 22" and 34". I like the 34" because it really lights up more of his enclosure. I tried the 22" but half as strong and looks very dim. Should I just go with a 12% Arcadia T5 34" bulb since the 14% might be too strong? Also, the UVI on this one (Reptisun 10.0) is only reading 2-3 max at 12" distance. Megaray bulb is showing 5-6. Hence why I'm thinking of getting another newer bulb and might make him more active.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would not go the full length of the tank --- a 24" fixture is good for a 40+ gallon tank - you do not want him hiding from the UVB --- it is up to you for bulbs Reptisun are good as well as the Arcadia and unless you have the distance of 24" height wise I would not suggest the 14% bulb -- Arcadia 12% bulbs are very good bulbs -- if one seems dimmer than the other how old is that bulb? They tend to get that way when starting to lose strength-- I noticed it right away last Feb when I changed out Hiccups 14% to the Arcadia 12% how much brighter it was and that was because the bulb was losing strength -- it is always best to change out the bulb prior to when they are due to expire --- like a month before
Karrie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ifox2qf said:
I would not go the full length of the tank --- a 24" fixture is good for a 40+ gallon tank - you do not want him hiding from the UVB --- it is up to you for bulbs Reptisun are good as well as the Arcadia and unless you have the distance of 24" height wise I would not suggest the 14% bulb -- Arcadia 12% bulbs are very good bulbs -- if one seems dimmer than the other how old is that bulb? They tend to get that way when starting to lose strength-- I noticed it right away last Feb when I changed out Hiccups 14% to the Arcadia 12% how much brighter it was and that was because the bulb was losing strength -- it is always best to change out the bulb prior to when they are due to expire --- like a month before
Karrie

Thanks Karrie.
I will try with the 12% T5 Arcadia 22" bulb for the 24" zoomed T5 fixture mounted inside of his enclosure (not on top of the screen mesh) and see how he does. I do see a lot of bearded dragon videos that show the other half is the shade = 0 UVI and dark. Since it is a custom wooden enclosure, I do not need to use a higher wattage bulb so it varies from 50-75W since that is mounted on top of screen mesh.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have the same website as well --- that is where I got the distance for the 14% bulb --- I am using the 12% in Hiccups tank and have had no issues w/ his it is approx 12--15 inches from his basking decor - I am using the 14% currently in Blazes tank and it is appox 18 inches from his decor --- his is getting changed out next month to the Reptisun T 5 --
Karrie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Karrie for the suggestions. I also checked backed when I ordered the bulb its actually a year ago so its due for a new bulb. Went ahead with the 12% 22inch bulb for the 24" fixture i think he will enjoy it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom