How to steam clean beardie vivarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Hi there,

I'm going to get a steam cleaner to clean my beardies cage. What kind of steam cleaner would be good? Not brand wise, but would a small one or car one do the trick?

What should I do with the bulbs/bulb holders? I can't remove the holder for the UV, and the bulb is tricky to remove, or the holder for the basking bulb/CHE. Thanks :)

(its a wooden vivarium- is it ok to steam clean wood like that?)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to have one of the more experienced on here that have had dealings w/ the steam cleaners - Cooperdragon maybe - PM him and ask him about it
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I responded via PM but wanted to put my thoughts on the forum for reference too. There are small steam cleaners with narrow pencil sized output that gives you pretty good accuracy to get around things that are sensitive to water vapor. I would avoid steaming the ceiling or lights and focus on the sides (especially lower) and the floor as well as the items in the enclosure. It takes a long time to get through everything thoroughly with a small cleaner though, so I usually reserve it for when I need to go after coccidia or if I need a bit of sand blast style action that spraying with vinegar and wiping doesn't handle or to get things stuck in crevices etc. I mostly rely on F10 for disinfecting things since it's so much quicker, but I have used steam and it works well if you have the time to go over everything slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom