T5 Fixture and Bulb for 4' Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I've been trying to find a fixture for a T5 UV bulb to fit the Zen habitat enclosure I'll be getting. I know that the conventional wisdom is to have the UV run 2/3 the length of the enclosure. For a 4' enclosure, that's 32" - but I'm having some difficulty finding a T5 bulb that length; the closest I see on Amazon is a 30" and a 36" - and I'm having a hard time finding a fixture for either, unless I want to pay premium and get the ZooMed T5 fixture.

Which should I be aiming to pick up for my soon-to-be bigger and better enclosure... 30" or 36"? And could someone toss up some links to workable fixtures for the right size bulb? The only ones in the right size I see are these:

https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40654&gclid=Cj0KCQjwudb3BRC9ARIsAEa-vUtTpiINzjaF6IC8aWK8hWwDUjNvvDdU_ujqCuL_K3xh6X98RkkAUssaAi1hEALw_wcB

And if I go the T5 route... would it be okay sitting on top of the screen in a 4'x2'x2' enclosure? I really don't like the idea of hanging it under the screen with zip ties, and I've been told that attaching it to the back wall of the hab, like I have with my T8 fixture in the current hab, isn't the best placement for a UV bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You will can get a 24" fixture --- I have 2 Zens and have the 24" fixture in the tanks --- w/ it being 24" high needs to go inside the tank - you can use 3 M velcro fasteners-- long zip ties--- fishing line -- picture wire hangers or potted plant hangers here is a pic of my tanks - I am using a very thin stainless wire that my husband got from work -- they are very bendable and have worked great
97951-8462642594.jpg
blazes tank - he currently is using a Arcadia 14% bulb that is why its strapped to the top
97951-6618921375.jpg
Hiccups tank -- he has the 12% bulb in his
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, you lost me at the 14% and 12%... is that an Arcadia thing? I was thinking of going with the Reptisun T5 HO - is that a bad idea? I thought Reptisun was a good brand?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use the 24 (22) inch versions in my 4x2x2s also. Best for a good gradient. Reptisun is fine. I've been using Arcadia lately though.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 12% bulb Arcadia is equivalent to the Rep 10 T5 -- the 14 % is a real strong bulb for higher tanks like the 24" - that is why Blazes UVB is strapped to the top - the Arcadias are good bulbs -- I will be switching out Blazes 14% to the Reptisun 10 T5 in August I could not get the Arcadias here till today when pangea got them back in stock - currently Hiccup has a Arcadia 12 % in his tank --
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, so if I don’t want to dangle my UV from the top of the enclosure, it sounds like an Arcadia 14% is my only option?

I suppose I could also go with the Zen that is only 16” high... I really don’t like the idea of a free-hanging fixture in the tank; it’s just not aesthetically pleasing...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I see --- the 14% is still going to need to go into the tank -- and your basking decor piece should be low you dont want a lot of height to it - ask Brandon and see what he says -- my rock on the top sits about 17-18 inches from the UVB -- that leaves 6" to the floor -- I have not had any issues w/ them not basking - they will move away out of it when they want to --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom