Mercury Vapor Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Since I've been advised to lower the wattage of my basking bulb, I'm considering using an 80w PowerSun mercury vapor bulb. I do have a T8 strip mounted on the back wall of the tank, but I'm a little concerned that Figment doesn't spend enough time in that 6"-10" zone of proximity. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding much info on MVBs that I can understand... the material is either way too technical for me, or presented by people selling said bulbs.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on using a MVB in conjunction with a T8 strip? These bulbs are a pretty big chunk of change, so I don't want to get one and find out that having it on top of the screen blocks out almost all of the UV - or that it's not a safe bulb for my dragon. The skeptic in me says that if these bulbs were all that great, everyone would be using them... and that doesn't seem to be the case.

So tell me what you know, please... why should I, or shouldn't I, use a mercury vapor bulb?

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
ComicBookMama":2s08bjl5 said:
Since I've been advised to lower the wattage of my basking bulb, I'm considering using an 80w PowerSun mercury vapor bulb. I do have a T8 strip mounted on the back wall of the tank, but I'm a little concerned that Figment doesn't spend enough time in that 6"-10" zone of proximity. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding much info on MVBs that I can understand... the material is either way too technical for me, or presented by people selling said bulbs.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on using a MVB in conjunction with a T8 strip? These bulbs are a pretty big chunk of change, so I don't want to get one and find out that having it on top of the screen blocks out almost all of the UV - or that it's not a safe bulb for my dragon. The skeptic in me says that if these bulbs were all that great, everyone would be using them... and that doesn't seem to be the case.

So tell me what you know, please... why should I, or shouldn't I, use a mercury vapor bulb?
I use one with a t5 so I'm sure it's no problem I have a 140 gallon enclosure though what size is yours it may vary and depend on situation but people do it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We use a mercury vapor bulb, in combination with a T5 tube as well so using it with a T8
tube is perfectly fine. What brand of T8 is it & which MVB brand are you considering?
I am assuming that you are using a UVB meter to measure the UVB levels in order to be
able to mount the lights properly for the distance.
As long as MVB lights are used in a large enough tank are safe when the ventilation & the
distances are good.

Tracie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3magk65i said:
Hello,

We use a mercury vapor bulb, in combination with a T5 tube as well so using it with a T8
tube is perfectly fine. What brand of T8 is it & which MVB brand are you considering?
I am assuming that you are using a UVB meter to measure the UVB levels in order to be
able to mount the lights properly for the distance.
As long as MVB lights are used in a large enough tank are safe when the ventilation & the
distances are good.

Thanks for the reply! I have a 40BR at the moment... saving for a Zen... and my T8 is a Reptisun 10. I'm considering using a PowerSun 80w for the summer months (another thread explains the issues I've had with my tank getting too hot). I'd go back to a 100w when the weather gets cold.

I don't have a UV meter; I mounted the fixture under the screen based on what I'd heard recommend on this forum; I used Velcro strips to stick it to the back wall of the tank, just under the screen. I put Figment's basking lamp as close to the fixture as I could, and put his hammock in the corner 10" below. He uses the hammock sometimes, and sometimes he prefers to bask on the floor, and since he's been doing the latter more often of late, that's why I worry he's not getting enough UV.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would take the T 8 off the back wall and move it directly over him w/ UVB approx 6-8 inches from him -- that way you know hes getting the amount of UVB he needs -- I would go to a regular bright white basking bulb w/ a lower wattage if the tank is getting too hot --- or get a piece of decor that offers different heat gradients for him so he can pick the spot he wants to bask ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom