Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for this that dont know we recently rescued a 6 month old beardie who we just fell in love with. He had mbd really bad. He was our first beardie. I did everything i possibly could to help him. It ended up he had cancer. We had to put him down. :( it was just devastating. The wondeful exotic vet we took him to put me in contact with a family with 2 beardies a bit under 2 years old. The family just adopted 2 young kids and were worried they wouldn't have time for there beardies who were clearly very loved and healthy. They came with beautiful enclosure but everything is so difforent from the set up i had for our little guy. I want to be sure everything is perfect. For ours we had the reptisun 5 10.0 for uvb. Im so confused because it didn't give off heat. In the new dragons enclosures they are retisun bubs but are a bit wider and get hot. Ill post pics and when they cool down ill see if i can get .ore info about the bulbs. Im attaching photos of there setups. Any advice is much appriciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Unless they are a basking bulb they should not be getting hot---- the 2 you adopted are in the same tank? If so you need to separate them and get them their own tanks and lighting etc---- dragons should never be kept together- they are a territorial animal and one will end up suffering and sick - they may get along now but in the future you just dont know what is going to happen they can turn in an instance --- for UVB's they need a fixture of 24" w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb- they are the best on the market at this time besides the Arcadias 12% bulbs- a good bright white basking bulb that will keep temps 95-110 and being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons they are inaccurate -- No colored bulbs NO coil UVB's they are inadequate and No loose substrate ---- if you have more questions or need more info please ask --- we are here to help---the pics did not post
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your T5 Reptisun is a good bulb. It won't produce much heat though, that's normal.
If you could post some photos of what you inherited, we'll be glad to help you sort it out and get everything just right. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ then post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

NicoleVanUnen

Original Poster
108479-42581549.jpg
108479-9089349652.jpg
108479-361179715.jpg
Sorry for the late response. I had to get a new phone. No i don't have them together. There enclosures are melamine where as my little tito was in a glass tank with a screen lid. So the setup is just new to me. In the 2 new dragons enclosures they have reptisun t8 10.0 for uvb. According to the reptisun website this is correct being they bask closer to the light then "tito" did. I don't want them getting burnt. But if you guys have a different opinion please let me know. I did buy some cards that are supposed to tell you if the lights are putting out uvb. Its too bad the uvb testers are so expensive!!
108479-2426839252.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Where is the bright white basking bulbs and UVB's w/ no reflectors?????????? Or do they have them? I see 2 heat emitters --- you dont need them unless your tanks are falling below 65 at nite --
Karrie

NicoleVanUnen

Original Poster
So the pics are of the 2 separate tanks. They each have one heat emitter and the retisun t8 10.0. The tanks are very bright from the t8 10.0 and the reptisun website says it puts off uva and uvb. Do i need to maybe switch the heat emitter with a white heat bulb? I turn it all off at night they have no need for heat at night. Our house isn't cold.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your dragons will not be able to digest their food w/ out a bright white basking bulbs--- temps need to be 95-110 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- A MUST!! You do not want to burn them up - please take the heat emitters out an put in a basking bulb!! Start w/ a 100 watt after 10 minutes w/ the probe sitting on their basking spot get temp--- the fixtures for the UVB do they have reflectors-?
Karrie

NicoleVanUnen

Original Poster
I have a digital probe thermometer in both tanks in there basking spots. Plus i have a high end temperature gun to double check. The basking spots are 100-104 and the cooler side is 75-80. So temps are spot on. Im not sure if you can see in the pics but i dont know if there's a reflector on the light fixtures for the 10.0 bulbs. :/ ill google and fix that if not. There tanks are really nice and bright i think because the light reflects off the white interior of the enclosures.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Reflectors will be behind the bulb - you can use tin foil but I recommend a regular reflector I have a website that Arcadia has for reflectors- please get a bright white bulb you want to mimic the sun as much possible and heat emitters and UVB bulbs do not do that
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom