T8 question - Updated with new light pics - did I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
WinFam01":1pzkmx9e said:
If I get a T8 fixture for a uvb bulb and attach it on the underside of the screen top, does it need to have a reflector? (Tank is 36x18x18)
Yes , even the strongest T8 UVB tube ( a 12% UVB ) will need a very good reflector above / around it's back half in a tank 18" tall.

How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png
tie-the-old-arcadia-guide-to-the-new-arcadia-guide.png

You are better off investing in a 24W T5ho UVB tube rated AT LEAST 10%UVB and a reflector will be needed for this unless the dragon can get close enough when basking to get about 180 microW UVB / sq.cm.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yes you want a reflector w/ any tube fixtures - it maximizes the UVB rays --- and most recommend T 5 especially for bigger tanks 40 + gallon -- T 8's are good just not as strong as the T 5's
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":5igdgs01 said:
yes you want a reflector w/ any tube fixtures - it maximizes the UVB rays --- and most recommend T 5 especially for bigger tanks 40 + gallon -- T 8's are good just not as strong as the T 5's
Karrie

In that a T8 will not have the UV penetrating power of a T5ho with the same UVB rating (and UVA rating too ) .

Spend a few dollars more and buy a T5 and T5 reflector hood rather than the T8 versions , your dragon will benefit from this greatly.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I thought T5s should be mounted outside the tank?

The screen on her tank is really thick, not like the usual silverish mesh, so I had been thinking I would put a T5 on top of it. But then I started thinking the screen would block too much of it, so thought a T8 inside would be better. Plus I can't find the Arcadia 12% for T5 I wanted in stock anywhere. :/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 5 has options if it's mounted inside basking decor should be 12-15 inches-- on top of screen 8-10 inches-- try reptilesupply for the bulb they were awaiting an order coming in-
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That's the thing, if I mount it inside I don't think I can get it that far away - her current basking spot is only about 6 inches from the screen. I would have to have something no higher than about 3 inches, and she would definitely be much closer some of the time on some of her furniture. ??‍♀️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So if you leave it on top of screen get your basking decor piece 8-10 inches under it -- you can work w/ decor pieces that will work --
Karrie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It might be a good idea to invest in a UV meter. Then you can tell how much your beardie is getting though the screen and at various distances from the lamp.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SHBailey":148ysqxu said:
It might be a good idea to invest in a UV meter. Then you can tell how much your beardie is getting though the screen and at various distances from the lamp.

Or find a local keeper who has a unit who is will to come and take those measurements for you perhaps .

or measure your screen as shown below :
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard-measuring.png
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard.png

Calc / measure area per mesh open and diameter of the wire
Shading = d/(G+d) as fraction. .

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SandP":uexxopcf said:
Can you show us a pic of the screen? In most cases it should be fine sitting on top.
Let's see if this shows it well enough - I lifted up the access flap to get a shot straight through, and the 2nd is a shot of it from straight above. A 100 watt basking bulb would not get the top of the basking decor (any 6-7 in. away) past 95, we had to go to a 150.
108070-6093529323.jpg
108070-7661778009.jpg

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":1of2n2wn said:
I thought of that, but they are quite expensive.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1az6v3y9 said:
SHBailey":1az6v3y9 said:
Or find a local keeper who has a unit who is will to come and take those measurements for you perhaps .

or measure your screen as shown below :
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard-measuring.png
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard.png

Calc / measure area per mesh open and diameter of the wire
Shading = d/(G+d) as fraction. .
Hm, that's a thought.
King, I think you must be an engineer - or a rocket scientist. ?

Not sure if this stuff it's made of would count as mesh - it's metal that I can tap on and make a sound. (That's the way my brain works and how I explain stuff - very technical, isn't it?) ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That to me is mesh--- and it would block 30% of the T 8's rays --- it needs to go inside the tank if that is what your trying to determine
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom