T8 question - Updated with new light pics - did I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
WinFam01":1pzkmx9e said:
If I get a T8 fixture for a uvb bulb and attach it on the underside of the screen top, does it need to have a reflector? (Tank is 36x18x18)
Yes , even the strongest T8 UVB tube ( a 12% UVB ) will need a very good reflector above / around it's back half in a tank 18" tall.

How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png
tie-the-old-arcadia-guide-to-the-new-arcadia-guide.png

You are better off investing in a 24W T5ho UVB tube rated AT LEAST 10%UVB and a reflector will be needed for this unless the dragon can get close enough when basking to get about 180 microW UVB / sq.cm.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yes you want a reflector w/ any tube fixtures - it maximizes the UVB rays --- and most recommend T 5 especially for bigger tanks 40 + gallon -- T 8's are good just not as strong as the T 5's
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":5igdgs01 said:
yes you want a reflector w/ any tube fixtures - it maximizes the UVB rays --- and most recommend T 5 especially for bigger tanks 40 + gallon -- T 8's are good just not as strong as the T 5's
Karrie

In that a T8 will not have the UV penetrating power of a T5ho with the same UVB rating (and UVA rating too ) .

Spend a few dollars more and buy a T5 and T5 reflector hood rather than the T8 versions , your dragon will benefit from this greatly.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I thought T5s should be mounted outside the tank?

The screen on her tank is really thick, not like the usual silverish mesh, so I had been thinking I would put a T5 on top of it. But then I started thinking the screen would block too much of it, so thought a T8 inside would be better. Plus I can't find the Arcadia 12% for T5 I wanted in stock anywhere. :/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 5 has options if it's mounted inside basking decor should be 12-15 inches-- on top of screen 8-10 inches-- try reptilesupply for the bulb they were awaiting an order coming in-
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That's the thing, if I mount it inside I don't think I can get it that far away - her current basking spot is only about 6 inches from the screen. I would have to have something no higher than about 3 inches, and she would definitely be much closer some of the time on some of her furniture. ??‍♀️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So if you leave it on top of screen get your basking decor piece 8-10 inches under it -- you can work w/ decor pieces that will work --
Karrie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It might be a good idea to invest in a UV meter. Then you can tell how much your beardie is getting though the screen and at various distances from the lamp.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SHBailey":148ysqxu said:
It might be a good idea to invest in a UV meter. Then you can tell how much your beardie is getting though the screen and at various distances from the lamp.

Or find a local keeper who has a unit who is will to come and take those measurements for you perhaps .

or measure your screen as shown below :
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard-measuring.png
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard.png

Calc / measure area per mesh open and diameter of the wire
Shading = d/(G+d) as fraction. .

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SandP":uexxopcf said:
Can you show us a pic of the screen? In most cases it should be fine sitting on top.
Let's see if this shows it well enough - I lifted up the access flap to get a shot straight through, and the 2nd is a shot of it from straight above. A 100 watt basking bulb would not get the top of the basking decor (any 6-7 in. away) past 95, we had to go to a 150.
108070-6093529323.jpg
108070-7661778009.jpg

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":1of2n2wn said:
I thought of that, but they are quite expensive.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1az6v3y9 said:
SHBailey":1az6v3y9 said:
Or find a local keeper who has a unit who is will to come and take those measurements for you perhaps .

or measure your screen as shown below :
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard-measuring.png
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard.png

Calc / measure area per mesh open and diameter of the wire
Shading = d/(G+d) as fraction. .
Hm, that's a thought.
King, I think you must be an engineer - or a rocket scientist. ?

Not sure if this stuff it's made of would count as mesh - it's metal that I can tap on and make a sound. (That's the way my brain works and how I explain stuff - very technical, isn't it?) ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That to me is mesh--- and it would block 30% of the T 8's rays --- it needs to go inside the tank if that is what your trying to determine
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom