Cats Bothering Lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
RyuksMama":303kxr4p said:
kingofnobbys":303kxr4p said:
Easier to collect the cats , put them in a sack and "donate" them to local animal shelter ( they become some else's problem then ) and if it upsets the person who brought them into your house , so be it.

....I’m a minor, won’t go down so well. Also the cats were a gift to my sister because her Kitty passed away a while ago. She never bothered my lizard though. Though I love my lizard it seems a little unfair to throw away another animal that isn’t even mine. Not to mention I’ll only be in this house with her for another year.
[Moderator comment]

Please don't take the above suggestion seriously. That is a horrible thing to suggest and is not the answer to your problems. No point in trying to solve 1 problem by creating an even bigger problem with your family.
You've gotten good advice prior, so just let us know if you need anymore help or suggestions, and let us know how things go :)

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":360f1wmu said:
RyuksMama":360f1wmu said:
kingofnobbys":360f1wmu said:
Easier to collect the cats , put them in a sack and "donate" them to local animal shelter ( they become some else's problem then ) and if it upsets the person who brought them into your house , so be it.

....I’m a minor, won’t go down so well. Also the cats were a gift to my sister because her Kitty passed away a while ago. She never bothered my lizard though. Though I love my lizard it seems a little unfair to throw away another animal that isn’t even mine. Not to mention I’ll only be in this house with her for another year.
[Moderator comment]

Please don't take the above suggestion seriously. That is a horrible thing to suggest and is not the answer to your problems. No point in trying to solve 1 problem by creating an even bigger problem with your family.
You've gotten good advice prior, so just let us know if you need anymore help or suggestions, and let us know how things go :)

Haha trust me I didn’t take it seriously. I could never hurt an animal nor would I ever have the heart to bring them back to a shelter even if it was my decision. :) I do have one question because I continuously see conflicting information on here and online. What woods are safe to build the enclosure out of?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pretty much any wood is safe to use as long as it's sealed, and you will want to be sealing it to help protect it and make it last anyways :)

Pine is generally considered to be toxic to reptiles, most plywood you find will have pine in it. But painting or sealing will seal in any of those potential toxins. You just want to make sure the paint of sealer has fully cured before allowing your dragon into it.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Claudiusx":j65go6yr said:
Pretty much any wood is safe to use as long as it's sealed, and you will want to be sealing it to help protect it and make it last anyways :)

Pine is generally considered to be toxic to reptiles, most plywood you find will have pine in it. But painting or sealing will seal in any of those potential toxins. You just want to make sure the paint of sealer has fully cured before allowing your dragon into it.

-Brandon
'

If it's just for the lid , since humidity in the tank wont be an issue ( unlike some skinks ) , then plywood made from pine will OK, and a lot cheaper than other types of timber. The dragon wont come in contact with it.

Nor does a lid need to be sealed ( unless you want it to look more attractive , after routing and sanding the edges ).
The light fittings can be fixed under a plywood lid using timber screws.
So basically the only tools you need are
> power driver / screw driver
> hole saw bit ( to make holes for small slip in round plastic cupboard vents ) to stop bugs from getting into tank
> drill bits
>maybe a circular saw or a electric jig saw.
If you measure the size of the top of the tank, most hardware shops will cut plywood to size for you.

I'd suggest some 1" x 1" DAR square dowel to fix to the underside of the plywood lid to make a nice fit to the inside edges of the top of the existing tank. ( Forms a rectangular frame attached to the underside of the lid , will stop the lid from slipping off ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom