Enclosure size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaina

I have two good places for a beardie, one allows for a longer and wider cage but will only be about 10 to 12 inches tall. The other can be as tall as needed but will only be about 26 inches long and 11 inches wide. What size is better?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need a tank that is 75 gallon
48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8 or a 120 gallon
48 1/2 x 24 1/4 x 25 1/
that is a recommended size for a full size dragon --- they need the floor space -
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would go with the first option. Floor space is the most important. But, you might run into some issues with that height when it comes to lighting, and keeping your dragon inside of it.

What is the issue that is keeping the height so small?

-Brandon

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hi Malaina,

If you absolutely have to go with one of those two options, I would go for the long, wide but short spot as opposed to the tall but only 26x11 inch spot. However, neither of these are ideal for a bearded dragon. Below is a full explanation with what most people recommend for enclosure size, along with why these recommendations are what they are.

The absolute minimum by most people's standards, once the animal reached adulthood (which they do very quickly), is a 40 gallon breeder tank. These are three feet long and one and a half foot tall and wide (or 36Lx18Hx18W inches). That said, who really wants to provide the "absolute minimum" for their pet?

It is generally accepted that bigger than this is much preferred, with a four foot long, two foot wide and tall (48Lx24Wx24T inch) enclosure being what the majority of people aim for. Some people go even bigger; One reptile rescue I volunteered for made a 6 foot by 4 foot by 4 foot enclosure for their resident bearded dragon.

My personal preference is actually somewhere between the three (40 gallon, 4x2x2 foot, and bigger), as I personally favor a five foot long, two foot wide, and one and a half foot tall enclosure (60Lx24Wx18T inches). That said, my beardie is currently in a 40 gallon breeder due to a series of unfortunate events and is doing very well in it. Granted, he also gets run of the apartment for several hours per day as my SO is currently working from home and can multitask which watching him, so he really just sleeps and eats in his tank.

When considering enclosure size for any reptile, you should consider the type of behavior they would display in the wild. Bearded dragons are not arboreal animals, and therefor need more horizontal space than vertical. Additionally, all reptiles need some form of temperature gradient or hot spot, which is easier to obtain in some sizes/shapes of tanks than others.

Horizontal space can by calculated pretty quickly by taking length times width of the enclosure, so a 40 gallon tank offers 36x18 inches of horizontal space or 648 square inches. The generally recommended size of tank, meanwhile, offers 48x24 inches 1,152 square inches, which is 77% larger than a 40 gallon breeder. Your 26x11 inch space, meanwhile, offers only 286 square inches of horizontal space, which is less than half of the bare minimum.

This is especially true when you consider that a large adult bearded dragon can be up to 24 inches in length. Almost universally, reptile keepers will agree that your shortest side should be at least as long as your lizard. This alows them to move about, streach and exercise with ease. My beardie is thankfully small, at about 17 inches, which is why I don't feel too bad keeping him in a 40 gallon breeder while I wait for a chance to borrow my dad's saw (to build a new, larger enclosure with).

But back to vertical space and vertical space needs. Bearded dragons can and will climb and are very good at it. In Australia, they are known for climbing of completely vertical surfaces such as telephone poles with ease. Because of this, vertical space and climbing opportunities should be provided in an ideal habitat for exercise and enrichment, but are not a necessity of the species.

However, heat and UVB are both necessities of the species and are generally controlled by the proximity of their sources to the surfaces the bearded dragon will be in contact with. Because of this, vertical space isn't important just for your bearded dragon's enrichment, but health as well.

Depending on the type of UVB source you use, a proper basking distance will be anywhere between 8-18 inches away from the bulbs surface.

Heat, meanwhile, depends on both the vertical and horizontal space of the enclosure. You need to be able to adjust the height of your basking light such that the dragon is getting a "hot spot" of 95-100 degrees F (though some people get away with as low as 90 degrees F and others as hot as 110). There should also be a fairly large portion of the tank near the "hot spot" that is also quite warm - in the 90s or high 80s. From there, there must be enough horizontal space that the part of the enclosure furthest from the heat source is 80 degrees F or below. No part of the tank should ever be below ~70 degrees F during the daytime, and when your heat source goes off at night the ambient temperature should remain above 68 degrees F (preferable above 70 degrees F).

The reason you need the "hot spot", a warm area and a cool area is so that your bearded dragon can regulate it's temperature for proper digestion and comfort. These ranges in temperature are very, very difficult to obtain in any enclosure smaller than a 40 gallon breeder. They are also very easy to obtain in a 4 foot long by 2 foot wide by 18inch-2 foot tall enclosure.

In light of this information, you could, if you were very careful and conscientious with your enclosure, possible make an adequate habitat for your beardie with a tall, wide space that was only 12 inches tall. However it would be a little difficult and probably require some customization which would translate to spending more money.

Given your situation, you may want to consider getting an older or disabled beardie. There are many dragons who are missing legs or have minor cases of MBD can still live long and humane lives, but due to their past/current health problems don't require as much vertical space as a healthy bearded dragon might, due to either an inability or disinterest in climbing as much. Obviously, however, getting a bearded dragon with preexisting conditions may set you up for heartbreak or spending lots of money at the vet. One good rescue that would probably help you find a bearded dragon like this that was in otherwise good health is Emerald Scales.

Regardless of what you choose to do, please don't get offended or disheartened by other people's opinions on the internet, and make sure to keep researching and asking questions of the community. Part of good reptile keeping is always looking for ways to improve yourself and learn from others, so while there are a lot of strong opinions out there take them with a grain of salt and keep researching. If there is a "right way" to do anything in reptile keeping, experience and research will find it, and with time a newer, better way will be found and eventually become the new "right way".

That said, if I were you, I personally would hold off on the beardie until you can provide an enclosure that is as large as a 40 gallon breeder tank, preferably larger. It really will make your life easier as your bearded dragon will be easier to take care, potentially cheaper as you will be able to avoid costly health problem easier, and your bearded dragon's life happier and healthier.

I hope that helps,
-Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom