Jeffs Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuc

Hi Everybody! Hope all is well! Just got my beardy yesterday, he was found outside of an apartment complex by a close friend. We both went door to door to ask if he by any chance escaped from somebodies home...nobody claimed him. I decided to provide him with an enclosure and everything needed. Please feel free to comment or add suggestions! I put two 100w bulbs into his basking light and the thermometer right now reads 90F. I do feel like he needs a bigger UVB light. Tank is 60 gallons and UVB is 18"! Thanks! :)

https://ibb.co/HpZtWQt

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Really nice job , lots of room for dragon and nice decor. :) What type/brand of uvb bulb do you have ? One suggestion would be to get a larger uvb and put it closer to where he basks. He won't get any uvb if it's way off to the side.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your going to need to move your UVB inside the tank --- its a T 8 -- what brand of bulb did you get? Also you need to get a piece of decor approx 8-10 inches directly underneath the UVB NO plastic cover over the bulb - it needs to be exposed -- and move the UVB over toward your basking light right now hes getting NO UVB of where its sitting -- and the T8 is not strong enough to go thru the screen - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays and if the plastic cover is on more than that -- the digital probe needs to sit where hes sitting for a actual basking temp---I think 2 100 watt bulbs is too hot please check it ---- I would take out the step decor piece and that huge water dish its taking up alot of room - unless he is actually drinking from the water dish he doesnt need it in there -- he will get moisture thru his salads greens you feed him every day if you wash them before serving --- also gut load his insects meaning feed them carrots they are a good hydrating food along w/ other food as well --- and the dragon will get some moisture out of them as well as the salads -- I recommend dubia roaches they are the best feeder - he looks older so I would feed him 2-3 times per week insects and every day his salads http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder-- I have websites for you if you need them to order dubias if you like they are way easier to keep and last longer than crickets --- also worms ---
The 60 gallon tank looks too small or maybe its just too cluttered he has no floor space --- they need floor space --- if you need help w/ how to hang the fixture in the tank let me know I will post that as well
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The tank size is fine, the decor is good . Beardies love to climb and it gives them lots of exercise. And it looks like the uvb is already mounted inside if I'm seeing right. But definitely needs to be closer to the heat bulb.

ebuc

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the reply! I trashed the bulb the UVB came with as I read reviews that it was a bad bulb. I then took the cover off and replaced the bulb with a reptisun 10.0 tb8. I kept the plastic cover off by the way. I mounted the UVB light with 4 magnets (2 holding the lamp with a little hanger that goes into the light, and 2 that go outside of the enclosure to make contact with the 2 inside magnets with the hangars.)
I just moved the probe to where he is basking and its at 110F. If the temperature needs to be lowered, I simply adjust the light to be further away from the enclosure correct? I will move the UVB light to his basking area right away and remove that huge water bowl and get him a smaller one. Where would you recommend I place his food/water? Food close to the basking are and water in the cool area? I would love it if you could provide the link for the food you give him! Look forward to the replies! Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would put the food and water bowl on the cool side of the tank --- here are some websites for worm/ insects etc
www.dubiaroaches.com they have good worms like horn super butter worms - the butter worms are out of stock the horn worms are a good hydrating worm and grow very fast so order small amounts ---
www.reptilianartsc.com silk worms if you order in bulk make sure you get food as they eat alot and you need to clean the containers out everyday
www.coastilsilkworms.com the east coast was out but west coast had them
www.mulberryfarms.com
www.reptilesplus.com they are affiliated w / dubia roaches
Yes in order to lower temps you can raise the basking bulb --- also if you want to get a piece of decor that offers different temps called a gradient heat this piece from Petsmart works real good you can sit it different ways so he has different ways to utilize it https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 I have 2 of these similar in my two tanks they are All Living Things ones --- this one I posted is a Thrive one?
Karrie

ebuc

Original Poster
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the amazing advice! I hope that Jeff lives a long and healthy life! I will try my best to give him everything he needs! I will need to talk to the wife about the roaches though lol. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom