Thoughts on excavator clay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookie is currently on reptile carpet. It’s been fine so far, except that it begins to smell after about a day or two (I switch it out with a clean one every week), and also her nails are incredibly sharp right now. I had hoped to get tile for her enclosure, but my local Home Depot won’t cut tiles.

I could make the trek to Lowe’s, but there’s another issue I’m having: she likes to dig at night! As soon as her tank lights go out, she starts trying to dig. Sometimes she’ll find her way under her carpet but if not, I just cover her with a blanket which usually calms her right away and then she’s able to fall asleep. But I don’t like denying her of her natural instinct to dig.

I tried placing a dig box in her tank for awhile but she didn’t pay any mind to it so it was just taking up unnecessary space.

So now my thought is this: I could divide her tank down the middle with a slab of wood, and fill the one half of the floor with a layer of hardened excavator clay. I NEVER put live food in her tank - she’s fed in a separate bin - so I don’t have any worries of her swallowing it while feeding. I would keep her veggie bowl on the side without the clay.

Any thoughts on this? Could this still pose a potential threat to her health?

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
You can put rocks in their enclosure it helps keep nails trimmed and if you your looking for a natural setup to allow digging and other natural behaviors like hunting look into a bioactive set up. Excavator clay will harden and become like a rock and wont be able to be removed from the tank and is used to make permanent burrows/tunnels and can solidify even if not made a burrow in it . In a bioactive substrate you dont have to clean it as much spot clean and your dragon can make burrows , dig, hunt and you can offer live plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom