Bright light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Does anyone else have a bd that doesn’t like really bright tank. I have a megaray and I added a 6400 k fluorescent tube that spans the whole tank and he always basks when I just have the megaray on then around 9am or so I’ll switch on the daylight tube and just seems irritated by it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 6400k bulb may be putting out a weird spectra. Do you know the spectral analysis of it's output? Or it's lumen output?

Either way, if your dragon doesn't seem to like it, it's probably best to avoid it. This is where watching and knowing your dragon comes into play. You make decisions on husbandry based off your specific dragons needs :)

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
It’s a sun blaster t5 light for growing plants I thought it would have a color the same as sunlight? Maybe not.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
36" T5HO COMBO 6400K
Specifications Item# 0900303
Light Output 2450 Lumens
Power Consumption 39 Watts
Rated Life 10,000 Hours
Nominal Length 873 mm
Nominal Width 46 mm
Nominal Height 36 mm
Colour Temp 6400 Kelvin
Lighting Angle 103°
Voltage 110-130 Volts

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh it definitely doesnt. We discussed it a thread in the advanced discussion lighting section. It has a pretty horrible spectra graph if your goal is to mimic the sun's spectra. An ok spectra for growing plants though.

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
What kind of t5 can I get for additional lighting that has a good spectrum.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There really are no good t5s that I've found that have near sun spectra. A few leds I've found but they are expensive and I've obviously not tested them. Believe it or not, but a typical incandescent bulb has a pretty good visible spectra.

Is there a specific reason you're trying to add more light to the tank? Is it too dark?

That's one of the reasons I typically like a heat bulb in conjunction with a long tube uv bulb as opposed to an MVB. the tube uv provides plenty of light.

If you just want light I'd just put another low wattage bulb over on your cool side.

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Yeah just more light is all. I have a reptisun t5 but the only basking bulbs i have are a 90 watt halogen flood that gets up to 120 even when it’s almost 2 feet from the basking surface and a 65 watt br40 that only has 500 lumens which I thought was bad? Would you dim the halogen or use the br40? Thank you for your help. I’ve been going back and forth trying to decide which setup I like either megaray or reptisun. I wanted to go with reptisun but I’m having trouble getting the basking bulb dialed in. Also the basking dome is several inches in front of t5 fixture so it doesn’t get the fixture to hot and when the recommended distance is from under the bulb how do you account for the basking surface being 4 inches in front and 12 inches under.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Rubble1212":7vki07u0 said:
Does anyone else have a bd that doesn’t like really bright tank.
Sorry... just the opposite in my case. For a while I had to mount the basking light in a clamp-on fixture. ZaRDoZ tried several times to attack/jump on the bulb. Never did figure out why, unless he didn't like the brand of bulb or something (it's just a household incandescent flood). Now that it's recessed in the ceiling, he looks/stares at it once in a while, but he doesn't try to attack it anymore. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom