Ontario Canada - Heating Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanchus17

Hey guys,

I appreciate how helpful you have been with info and advice so I figured I would ask for some additional input on heating. I am quite a beginner in regards to caring for a beardie so I want to of course, do it properly.

I am setting up Bowsers new enclosure - its a Atasuki - 46" long x 18" wide x 24"tall like this picture.
I have tiled his enclosure and grouted as well.
107583-9562538312.jpg

In my countless searches across the web, there seems to be a divide or variation on some topics. I was looking to get some input from you all in regards to preferred temperatures.

What are the gradients one would like to achieve in this size of tank? Bowser is about 18 months and I love in Central Ontario. Temps can freezing at times and can be warm at times, but no where even close to the Australian Outback.

What types of things do you do to raise the overall temperature of the enclosure, and what are the main areas you like to check for temperatures (basking spot, cool, middle, etc). For the UVB bulb, would it be more important to have the full length of the enclosure, or 3/4 of it?

Thanks for the help and look forward to hearing your feedback.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UVB only 2/3 of tank - you don't want full length- he needs to be able to escape the Ray's if he wants to- I use a 24" for my 4 x 2 x 2-- the basking bulb is going to be trial and error- is your tank all glass? You might need to insulate the back w / some sort of foam to keep heat in - some use a par 38 flood lamp I think but I think they have them hanging above- not sitting on screen-- I use a 150 watt on top of screen and I have decor from PetSmart that offers gradient heat spots- some others can give you ideas on heating ideas
Karrie

yanchus17

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie! What kinds of temperatures do you like to keep during the day and overnight? What's your cool side, general temperature, etc at during the day?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
yanchus17":22yb1aga said:
What are the gradients one would like to achieve in this size of tank?
Daytime: 80°F/26°C (Cool Side) to 90°F/32°C (Warm side)
Nighttime: No lower than 65°F/18°C

What types of things do you do to raise the overall temperature of the enclosure, and what are the main areas you like to check for temperatures (basking spot, cool, middle, etc).

• 1. Insulation. You can insulate the back, sides, and top (where lights & ventilation aren't) with 1/2" rigid foam insulation (white, blue, or pink) from a home improvement store, OR multiple layers of corrugated cardboard--rotating the grain/flutes like plywood.

2. Try different wattage basking floods (not spots). Getting heat & basking lighting right can take some trial & error.

3. Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) gives off heat, but no light. I would use only if I couldn't balance temps by other means.

I have 2 digital thermometers w/ probes. One is fairly high up on the warm side, and controls a muffin fan that draws air out a vent if the temp goes above 90°F/32°C The other is in the middle/middle, and is also a hygrometer (humidity). Opinions will vary, but I try to maintain humidity between 30-40%.
I had the second thermometer on the cool side only long enough to establish that the cool side was correct when the warm side was; then I moved it to the middle to monitor humidity.

I measure basking surface temps with a temp gun, but a probe thermometer with the probe on the basking surface will work too.

For the UVB bulb, would it be more important to have the full length of the enclosure, or 3/4 of it?
2/3 to 3/4 See: https://www.reptileadvisor.com/bearded-dragon-lighting/

If you get the temps right, but would like more light, use supplemental LED bulbs--either standard light bulbs or fluorescent tubes. Little/no heat and inexpensive to operate.

Here's a pic of my enclosure lighting.
105703-5098756524.jpg
One 75W incandescent flood heats the entire 60" x 24" x 26" enclosure to temp within a hour.
Room temp is 72°F/22°C, which takes care of nighttime temps. He usually sleeps in different places on the floor, but lately he's been sleeping atop the basking tower.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yanchus17":23alcjzu said:
Thanks Karrie! What kinds of temperatures do you like to keep during the day and overnight? What's your cool side, general temperature, etc at during the day?

Day time temps run in the 80's on cool side -- basking temps on hot side run from 108 - 97 depending on where he sits -- and mid tank under UVB is around 90's -- nite time temps run in the 70's -- 70-74
Karrie

yanchus17

Original Poster
MrSpectrum said:
2. Try different wattage basking floods (not spots). Getting heat & basking lighting right can take some trial & error.

So a 150 Watt Intense Basking spot - I am assuming they are "spots" because they are more focused? What type of basking flood do you recommend? Will that help with overall temperature as opposed to using a "spot"

yanchus17

Original Poster
This picture I edited just for quick reference.

I am having a bit of time trying to get a nice gradient and looking for advice/help. I have two 150 watt intense basking spot bulbs. His basking area is measuring nicely but the middle is only at about 83F and the cool end is tool cool at 73F.

1 - Should I get rid of the second basking bulb and get a different type?

2- Should I put a small light over the cool end to bring up the temperature?

107583-5333784358.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You only need one good basking bulb ---- that will keep temps from 95-110-- if you have a stick or some sort of decor piece that will offer different temps settings he will pick the spot he would like to sit -- sometimes hot sometimes cooler --- the cool side of the tank should be 80's during the day --- two 150 watt bulbs is too much --- this is what I use in my tanks to offer different gradient temps its from Pet Smart https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 look there for pieces they have nice ones plus they are easy to keep clean --- this one is a thrive one the one I have is a All Living things one but I think they have discontinued that brand but still carry them in some of the stores --
that 73 temp is good for nite --- you can get a household bulb a regular one not LED to put on the cool side of tank it would raise that temp up a little to around 80 I am guessing and use a 60 watt bulb
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Most of us get by with just 1 bulb to provide heat.

For instance in your illustration, removing the lamp in the middle and on the left. That's how most of us do it.

Basking surface temp 105-110 for babies - 95-105 for adults (dragon dependant usually)
Hot/warm side typically falls around 90ish
With a gradient down to the cool end of 70's to low 80s. Preferably below 85. I like to be 80 or lower on cool end.

Of course, the wattage, and your temps will depend a lot on your house temp, and how well your enclosure holds its heat. For instance, in my wooden 4x2x2's, I use only 1 40w basking bulb. And it almost gets my temps too hot. It's all a bit of trial and error.

-Brandon

yanchus17

Original Poster
Claudiusx":vbikan68 said:
Most of us get by with just 1 bulb to provide heat.

Of course, the wattage, and your temps will depend a lot on your house temp, and how well your enclosure holds its heat. For instance, in my wooden 4x2x2's, I use only 1 40w basking bulb. And it almost gets my temps too hot. It's all a bit of trial and error.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon. I believe there are a few factors right now that are contributing for sure. I am moving him into an actual reptile enclosure - an Atasuki and it should hold heat much better than the old aquarium I am using. I have also tiled and grouted the new enclosure so maybe that will also assist with retaining some heat. I will be mounting the UVB on the inside of the enclosure as well.

yanchus17

Original Poster
I also wanted to ask, if a lamp is bringing the temperature up a little too much, is there a way to "lift" it from the mesh or raise it up a bit if you don't have a lamp stand?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, you can use some type of spacer so that the lamp sits a bit higher, such as some small wooden blocks.
Just make sure the lamp stays secure and can't easily tip over.

-Brandon

yanchus17

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1lirgeyi said:
Yes, you can use some type of spacer so that the lamp sits a bit higher, such as some small wooden blocks.
Just make sure the lamp stays secure and can't easily tip over.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon. Is the intense basking bulb enough to ignite wood I wonder? I actually just mounted a J-hook sort of thing above the enclosure (its an angled ceiling) and attached the rings you use on hanging lights. Now I can adjust the light by moving it up or down a ring.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The flash point for most woods is way higher than what a typical bulb can output heat wise. So there would definitely be nothing to worry about especially as the wood would only be touching the fixture itself, not the bulb. Even if it was touching the bulb, most bulbs come barely even half way to the flashpoint of wood.

-Brandon

yanchus17

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1tbq3w80 said:
The flash point for most woods is way higher than what a typical bulb can output heat wise. So there would definitely be nothing to worry about especially as the wood would only be touching the fixture itself, not the bulb. Even if it was touching the bulb, most bulbs come barely even half way to the flashpoint of wood.

-Brandon

Awesome. Thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom