UVA basking light max distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dkrugg9

My question is, how far is too far for a uva basking bulb to be away form the beardie. Right now I’m about 11 inches from the basking location and still 117 degrees. I hate to put the light any further up and the beardie not get the correct amount of uva! Please help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Is this basking bulb your only bulb, or do you have a UVB bulb too?
What bulb are you speaking of by the way?

-Brandon

Dkrugg9

Original Poster
claudiusx":1l41bjak said:
Hi there,

Is this basking bulb your only bulb, or do you have a UVB bulb too?
What bulb are you speaking of by the way?

-Brandon

Hey Brandon! Thanks for responding. I’m picking up my beardie tomorrow and just want to get everything squared away before he enters his new home. It is not my only bulb. My basking bulb 100w is directly over the basking area (obviously) but a little high in my opinion, 11 inches! I do have a fluorescent uvb bulb mounted in the tank as well and and on the cool side I have a 100w regular house bulb just for lighting. I have a ceramic heat emitter in the center of the tank more more towards the cool side and when that was on it was upwards of 125 degrees in the basking area. So I shut it off and it’s only down to around 115-117 now.

-Dustin

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So is the basking bulb an MVB bulb, or just a regular heat bulb?

If it's not a MVB, it's not going to be producing much UVA anyways, your UVB bulb will be producing the bulb of your UVA. So if that's the case, just get a wattage size and put it at a distance that gives you the temperatures that you need. That's the important part.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You will probably want to lower your basking site a bit too. Your basking bulb wattage is too high, temperatures are too much. I wouldn't be concerned with the UVA (or lack of) that the basking bulb provides.

What UVB bulb do you have? That will determine the distance that it needs to be from your basking site.

Do you use digital with probe end thermometers? Only asking because I see the dial stick ons.

-Brandon

Dkrugg9

Original Poster
Here’s a picture of the basking bulb I have. And isn’t the basking bulb that produces UVA essential for their digestion of calcium and vitaminsD3? And the UVB bulb is the 10.0 and I do have the probe at the top of the basking location.
107426-3935511038.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nope you have it backwards, the UVB is what allows the skin to synthesize Vit D and absorb Calcium. A basking bulb has 1 purpose, and that's to provide the proper temperatures in your tank. It has UVA in it, but so does every other lightbulb in the world. The UVB bulb produces the bulk of the UVA and UVB as it's designed to output UV.

If you are using the 100w and it's getting your temps that high, you might want to try the 75w or even the 50w. You could even use a regular household bulb if you wanted. Many of us do. Like I said, as long as it gets you the temperatures you need, you're golden.

-Brandon

Dkrugg9

Original Poster
Awesome, thanks for the help Brandon! I was unaware of the 10.0 producing UVA as well. This is a relief knowing I don’t have to sweat the basking bulb other than just for temps!

Thanks again!
-Dustin

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No Problem Dustin :)

Just make sure your UVB bulb is at the recommended distance it should be. It looks like it's the T5 version right?

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So since the T5 is much stronger than the t8, it's ideal distance would be 12-15 inches unobstructed. 8 inches would be the number if it were to be mounted ontop of the mesh.

I would look into perhaps changing how you have it setup. You also want it to be higher than the basking site (it looks about the same height in your picture, could just be the picture) that way it's not shining directly into their eyes. UV is necessary, but it can also be damaging. So if it's overhead, their eyes are protected.

Is that the Zoomed fixture?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom