Safe digging

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Safe digging

Postby advannoy13 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:27 am

Is there any sort of safe substrate that I can give my BD to dig in? Since it's in their natural instincts I'd like for my new Zen to have a corner for my baby to dig in but I don't know what would be safe to put there... any ideas? Suggestions?
advannoy13
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Safe digging

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:28 am

I have heard a small card board box -- but I am not sure what kind of sand -- some one else can help you w/ that one-
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Dig boxes are usually a combination of damp play sand and organic topsoil. They are messy though so usually set up in a separate bin and used when they are trying to lay eggs. In the main tank I like using fleece blankets or strips of fleece which allows them to burrow and dig but is easy to clean as needed. This is a good option short of building a bioactive setup which allows for digging.
CooperDragon

Postby Wickedpogana » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:30 am

Could use play sand even better to mix with top soil cause when the beardy digging in just sand it gets in the air and can cause respiratory issues coconut fiber is good to add to the mix makes it less messy wont stick to u or the beardie as much , alfalfa pellets are also good if u dont wanna mess with dirt type
Wickedpogana
Hatchling Poster

Location: Cleveland OHIO If you got no Heat Your Dragon wont eat!
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures